Wednesday, February 25, 2009

bruce lee on my shoulder

I have to mention a friend that I haven't seen for a very long time. James Harp was a pal I knew in Boy Scouts (Troop 54) as well as school. We were very close. His family moved out of the school district and he ended up attending Etowah High School in Attalla. I missed having my friend around. James was good guy - a real bona-fide good guy. It didn't matter if he knew someone or not - he'd jump into a fight just to defend the little guy. I also saw him step between kids who were about to fight - playing the peacemaker. I don't recall anyone not liking James. I don't recall anyone messing with or getting the best of him. Looking back, I think the guy was trying to be a little John Wayne.

James was an unusual fellow. He once showed me his hands. They were tough and hard - like rock. He told me that he toughened them by hitting cinder blocks. I think he said he learned that trick from Bruce Lee or something. By the time James was in high school, he'd muscled up from lifting weights. He was a force to be reckoned with, but I rarely saw him angry. He was always cutting-up and joking around - people liked him. As I said, he was a good guy.

One thing James did for me was to teach me how to get the upper hand in a fight. If you can find a way to get a guy off balance and off his feet - you could best him. If you could get him down, you could keep him down. Did I mention that James was a wrestler? I remember one night he came up to the house and showed me some quick moves to bring someone down fast. It was a simple move that literally swept someone off their feet. I don't know where in the world James learned all that he had learned about self defense - but he sure did - and I am glad he did.

So - James Harp came to my rescue me on several occasions and wasn't even there. Thanks James.

No comments: