Tuesday, April 24, 2007

for Darryl


Sgt Rock stories were always pretty grabbing even though they all seemed to start out the same way. The above cover I came immediately across whilst Googling for an image of Sgt. Rock. The strange thing is, it the cover of my all time favorite Sgt. Rock story ever. The cover art appeared on the second page of my search. How weird is that? So as I was saying, most of the Rock stories I remember started pretty much the same way. Here...I'll make one up for you and sure it will take you into that familiar world again.

First frame takes the reader in a mission underway...Easy Company somewhere trudging behind enemy lines. No one's talking but every one's thinking unhappy thoughts as the rain gushed down making their boots sink even deeper into the red mud. The faces beneath the helmets are inked in black - but the avid Sgt. Rock reader can effortless make out each of the weary cast as they pass the dark wet comicbook frames. Rock was guessing that Easy was covered by the dark of night and the heavy rain might turn out to be a blessing. "What idiot would be out on a night like this?" Only Easy.


Unfortunately the moon gave enough light for the two Nazi gun emplacements to find their Easy target. Rock and his men were caught in a burning crossfire. Red lines rained down on Easy from what seemed every direction. Each man caught off guard as they simply fell into their deep tracks. Even the battle quickened Sargent fell without releasing a command or a shot. Into an unconscious daze...into the shadows... limply rolled into a stream as German voices yelled and random shots fired into the still kill zone.


The mud enveloped his form. He slept as the earth gave way beneath him, carrying him into a cold place that became his saving grace...that is...for now.


Most of the Sgt. Rock issues I read started off something like that...always with Easy getting gunned down except for Rock. I am not surprized by Darryl's preference. Most of my play-army pals preferred Rock over Fury. I never turned a Rock, The Losers, or Haunted Tank down but I don't recall spending much of my hard earned dimes toward them. I guess most of the Rocks I read were perused while at a friend's house. Two kids quietly reading the other's WWII comic stash while little green army men or G.I. Joe's scatter the floor waiting for the next mission that only a boys imagination could send them.


I am a die hard Fury fan but I'll give this to Sgt. Rock. There was always a grittiness to the stories. Rock wasn't a funny-tough guy like his Marvel counterpart. Joe Kubert didn't draw it that way. Kubert drew Rock-hard, his face etched deep by the weariness of war. Rock reflects the hardships of real soldiers. the men that find themselves in distant places and at war...men who become focused with their task at hand, willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done before returning home.


The Rock would probably be the first to tell you how much he loathes war but will fight to the death for a neccesary victory. I believe that Rock saw a lot of bad things and had at countless times...seen the face of evil...the things the devil in man could do. Nothing's easy.

4 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

You forgot Johhny Ace (Indian Fighter Pilot).
Wasn't Captain Savage the one-legged PT boat commander. I remember reading him.
As far as tv goes.....
RAT PATROL (Which they have come out with season one on DVD).
and a little watched show called
GALLANT MEN. I don't remember much at that one.

Then there was
BOOTS AND SADDLES.. (TV) story of the U.S. Calvary.
GRAY GHOST (tv) story of Col. John S. Mosby during the Civil War.

It was all cool and good and we grew up at the a bestest time.

mb

Darryl said...

Just for me? I'm honored!

Great observatinos, David. As usual, you are right on.

So, when will you unveil your original WWII character?

On an aside, I have so enjoyed learning more about one of the REAL heroes of WWII -- Dick Winters, the DSC recipient who led Easy Company in one of the 101st Airborne Regiments (Band of Brothers fame). I have just started reading his autobiography, and am impressed . . .

David Finlayson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Finlayson said...

DB-
I can't wait to read the Winter's autobiography. I've got a stack of books by my bed that I need to read first. One of the best war autobiographies I've ever read was one you gave me...GUNS UP by Johnny Clark. I lost that paperback along the way but later found it in hardback.

MB-
RAT PATROL was a great show. I vaguely remember GALLANT MEN. COMBAT! left it in the shadows. Did you know that GALLANT MEN was Robert Altman's show. Altman found out about COMBAT! and dropped GALLANT. I'd love to see GALLANT MEN. I've got the complete set of COMBAT! and they are just as good as I remembered.

Another one of my favorite shows of that era (early 60's) was the television show TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH with Robert Lansing as General Frank Savage. The first season was excellent. They killed off Lansing's character after the first seaon and put Paul Burke in in the cockpit.

I was too young to remember GRAY GHOST. My mother and Brooky's talked about it. Wasn't that a Disney show? I don't recall ever hearing about BOOTS & SADDLES.

We did grow up in a good time. A happy time of T.V. Dinners and dead Nazi's.