Friday, April 27, 2007

I don't recall when the term graphic novel came into play but I grew up calling them comic books. I've been corrected a few times down through the years but I won't stand corrected. They are comic books and will always be comic books. Others can call them graphic novels but I feel silly calling them that.

My guess is the term graphic novel came from grown men attempts to dignify their enjoyment books filled with words and pictures. Comic books have always been to me art and a wonderful form of entertainment. We know that most of the best movies playing down at the Premiere are based on comic books/comic book characters. There's clearly no reason to dignify or justify ones enjoyment of the medium. If you like to read a comic book, go down to the store in the plain light of day and find out what Batman's up to these days.

I bought two comic books last year and it sure would be nice to dig through some 1.00 boxes under the tables. It's either little time or little money but one day soon I'll slip away and have some childish fun.

Some of my favorite comic books turned movies are:
THE GOOD ONES
300
Road to Perdition
Hellboy
Batman The first one that Tim Burton produced
Superman II
Batman Begins
Constantine
The Phantom
Men In Black
The Rocketeer
V for Vendetta I didn't like the politics but thought this film a work of art.
From Hell
Heavy Metal (1981)

THE BAD ONES
Flash Gordon
Popeye
Fantastic Four
The Hulk
Superman V
Nick Fury Agent of Shield
Ghost Rider
Dick Tracy
Daredevil
Judge Dredd
Howard the Duck

4 comments:

A.J. said...

Well, I have been wanting to comment on the comic thing, but was waiting on the right chance :) Thanks for the open door there, Dave :P Anywho...I really never got into "comic books" well, not until reccently anyway. Jason Wells let me borrow a copy of "The Crow" which is a graphic novel. What I understood to be true...which may, or may not be the case, is that the smaller, paper cover version is a "comic book" while the longer story put into a heavy cover is entitled "graphic novel". I could be wrong...but it kinda makes sense to me. I don't think it really matters though...we know what you mean!
I am, however, finding that I really enjoy them. I LOVED The Crow...it also was made into a movie, and I LOVED the movie as well. I also loved Constantine...and would love to check out the Hellblazer comic/graphic novel(s). I love the artwork, and the imagination that people use is incredible. I think I might actually be on to a new "hobby" here... I love art in general... but comics are so fun. I love to read, and the combination of pictures/action in comics is amazing.

Darryl said...

Absolutely right, David -- just call a comic a comic.

Spiderman? I loved the early spidey books, but don't see what all the fuss is about the movies. The new one looks to be a littler darker -- we'll see.

Captain America? Again, liked the early books -- the only movie I recall was a cheesy made-for-tv version that stunk.

Let's not even go into all of the TV shows and movies that were made into comic books . . .

Greene Street Letters said...

Here we go.....
I will have to disagree with you on choosing of DAREDEVIL as a bad movie.
I thought it a "Good" movie. Not great...but good.

Trouble with the comic movie thang...is that the people who read the books know the history, but the movie guys feel like they have to update everyone who may not know what is going on. that part bugs me, but I understand.

I'm with you...they are comic books, and I'll even go you one better...
Growing up they were even referred to as "FUNNY BOOKS".
ain't that a hoot?

mb

David Finlayson said...

mb- Maybe I didn't care for DareDevel because of Ben AFFFLAAAAC. He's in every other movie that comes up and I know he's a good actor but I am kind of tired of seeing him. I'm with you on the character history. Just tell a good story and let people go read the funny book to catch up. I'd forgotten about FUNNY BOOKS Michael. Let's start calling them that every time we go to the comic book store and see how many people we needle with our old terminology.

"Say mister, Do you happen to have that new Frank Miller FUNNY BOOK in?"

db- The Spiderman movies are o.k. There are other comic to film movies are that are okay and I didn't want to put them in the good or the bad. Supergirl came out in the mid to late eighties and I thought it was okay. Most of the Superman movies of the eighties were okay. The last one was terrible. Believe it or not, I think the Xmen series were okay movies but not great.

There were some great Comic to Television shows. The early Batman animations that Warner Brothers produced in the 90's were incredible. Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker fame) did a great voiceover for The Joker. The eighties had a short run series of The Flash that I thought was fun.

aj- Glad Jason hooked you up. He knows all the good stories out there. As for the term graphic novel...your description makes sense but most people seem to label everything out there a graphic novel.

No big deal.