Friday, October 31, 2008

distance from home

I left class late Wednesday night and headed home. I hadn't eaten anything that day and I knew that there was nothing but cold cereal at home. There are few choices at 11:30 p.m. and so I pulled into the Waffle House for a late night breakfast. The only thing I could thing of while I was sitting there was my daughter Katie. Katie loves Waffle House. I looked at the empty seat across from me and saw her smiling there. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what she would've order if she were actually there. Waffle House is a big treat for her and I don't go there much. Katie would have ordered the Big House Burger with hash browns cooked with onions, and a Coke. I miss her like I do the rest of my phantom family. I knew that she would have loved being there late at night talking with her dad about random things.

Gina often waits up for me. She shouldn't because her days are very full. I arrive long after the girls are in bed. Last night, Thursday, Gina had waited up for me. We talked for about thirty minutes - catching up on each other's day. He eyes were red and she was so sleepy - but she knows that if we don't see each other then - we won't see each other that day.

I see Kelsey every midnight - when I wake her up to pee. I'll rouse her, hold her hand down the dark hall and lead her to the toilet. She will wake enough to do her business and wash her hands - often giving her daddy a sleepy smile - eyes barely open. I do have about thirty minutes each weekday to see Katie and Kelsey. I pick them up from school and drive to drop them at the office. It's about a fifteen minute drive. We catch up on their school life and then off I go to my school life.

I miss my family. I've been a little disheartened this week. I can tell by Gina's voice over the phone that she too is a little weary of this. It's a hard time. She called while I was making this blog entry and it was good to hear her voice. We talked about our different worlds that we live apart. When she's at home - I am away - when I am away - she is at home.

I miss my family.

Tonight we'll all be together - driving from Trunk or Treats to Trunk or Treats. I won't be their missing Daddy tonight. I'll enjoy every moment of the evening with them as a whole family. Tomorrow I'll be downtown giving chair massages. I'll will then be back with my family tomorrow night and throughout Sunday. I look forward to this evening - to the weekend. I've got a lot of studying to do - but I'm making time for family this weekend.

No comments: