Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a day of good news

I got a call from the area Volkswagen mechanic Micky Boyd. I had the 73 Super-Beetle that my mother in-law gave me towed to Micky's garage. It's been sitting in my driveway for many many months - not being used by anyone except for the cat that lives next door. I only got to drive it a couple of times after receiving it because the spark plug kept popping out of it. My regular mechanic and great guy, Bill Noah, told me that I needed to take it to someone that works on VW's. I was told that a helo-coil would need to be installed in order for the plugs to stay threaded in there. Mickey called me today and said that the engine itself is fine and that there was no need to hoist the engine out. There was a strong possibility that the engine might've been cracked. Relieved from the good news - I asked him to go ahead and do a few other repairs / part replacements before releasing it back to me. I've never met Boyd but he sounds like a good and trustworthy fellow over the phone. It will be nice to have the car running for a change. I know that Mrs. Hale will like to see me driving it. Gina and I are going to clean a place out in the garage for it and treat it like the treasured vintage bug it deserves to be. There are some cosmetic things I'd like to have done with it in the future - but that can wait until we get a little more cash flow in here.

As for school - I studied me ars off these past few weeks for the Anatomy & Physiology test Tuesday night. I've had other test while taking the Therapeutic Massage Program here at GSCC - this one was the most dreaded. Ive never studied like I had to study. I don't think I would have made it without Gina's constant support. Every free moment - she was there with flash cards in hand. I'd even get home from school at 11:00 and there she would be. I know she was tired - but she is really doing everything she can to help me. I went in at 5:00 with a head full of science data that I hoped could fill in the right blanks with. I think I did good on it. I think I did real good...knock on wood. I think I made at least a B - and would be a milestone if I made an A. I feel good about it. I felt lost for so long and just had to keep working on the concepts until things started making sense. You see, this is the first science test I have ever passed. I believe these first few chapters pretty much covered everything I ever failed way back in high school. We'll see - the instructor said that it will take him a couple of weeks before he could get all his grading done (he has four other classes). The class is hard but he's a good teacher.

4 comments:

Brook said...

Told you a Heli-Coil would do it. That car's too cool not to be running!

David Finlayson said...

True, thanks Brook. Looking forward to JB in October. That was nice of Cindy to do that. She's always going above and beyond.

Greene Street Letters said...

Mickey B rocks!
In his own words, "Them VW's usually only have two things to fool with when you have trouble with them....Fuel or Fire."
Glad you getting the VW up and running....You can join the GEORGE CREEL VW Legion!

mb

David Finlayson said...

GEORGE CREEL - I will let him take the lead if there is such an humble legion. God bless that sweet dear man of God.