Tuesday, May 6, 2008

i miss this place

Gina and I were married in September of 1990. We immediately moved to Bowling Green, Kentucky and lived there until 1996. We refer to that blissful period in our lives as the honeymoon years. We lived in several different apartments within Warren County but finally found a beautiful little place on Robinhood Trail. At the time, there was a big field filled with horses out front and deer showed up in our backyard all the time. It was just a great time in our lives. The house itself had the feel of a chalet - not a lot of room but what the house offered was quaint and inviting. I had a loft studio and we had a whirlpool bath in the master bedroom.
We had the best neighbors, the family of Donnie & Cheri Obermiller (just a few houses down). We also attended the same church with them, Fountain Square First Methodist. Donnie, Cheri, Gina and I spent a great deal of time together - and we had great times. We still miss them and think of them often.
Gina and I were in good shape back then. We put good use to our mountain bikes that have now hung unused in the garage for the past decade. Covington Park was our favorite spot for picnics and tennis. I'd never seen a white squirrel before Covington. I wonder if they still dash from tree to tree there. There were lots of parks in and around that town. I'd never heard of Frisbee golf until living in Bowling Green. I also enjoyed the annual hot-air balloon shows. Unlike Etowah County, there were so many things to see and do.

I ran across the above photograph and a flood of memories rushed back. Life has changed a lot since we moved back to Gadsden. We have only passed through Bowling Green once in the past eleven years. I miss that town, I think of it in the Fall. We made a lot of friends that we will probably never see again. I will though, always have the memories.

4 comments:

Darryl said...

David,

I completely agree -- I really miss BG, especially in the Fall. Remember the fried apple pies from Jackson's Orchard? I loved walking around the campus in late October . . . ah, the memories!

You guys had a great house. I recall coming over for dinner enjoying your music with dessert -- all of that was pre-children, of course!

We plan to stop for a night in BG this summer as we drive to Michigan for a wedding. I can't wait to see the changes and show our kids around.

d

David Finlayson said...

Jackson's Orchard!!! Apple Pies!!! There Fall Festivals were always great.

Say, did you ever go to Bolton's Landing in Glasgow, Kentucky? Gina used to drive up to a facility up there and we'd frequent Bolton's Landing. They used to have a great October Fest menu.

I used to ride my bike to and from WKU while working there. Pretty campus...heck...the whole town was beautiful.

If I drove to Bowling Green after all these years...I probably wouldn't recognize the place. I've heard it's grown a great deal over the decade.

I rememeber your wedding...it doesn't seem that long ago. Where did you two get that old Packard ya'll drove off in.

Darryl said...

Oh yeah, we went to Bolton's Landing a time or two. We also went to Horse Cave every now and then, and on occasion made it up to the Whistlestop Restaurant in Glendale -- great food!

Kris and I celebrate our 15th anniversary this month -- it's hard to believe! The car was actually a 1940 Ford 2-door sedan, and my dad still owns it. He claims that he is going to fully restore it some day, but I've got the feeling he's waiting for me to step up.

Yes, I do miss Bowling Green every now and then. When we first moved to the coastal plains/midlands of SC, I had a hard time adjusting to it being so flat. Maybe not walking up and down "the Hill" several times a day is why I've gaining thirty pounds since moving here!

It is a beautiful part of the country . . .

David Finlayson said...

I love you two!