Monday, March 31, 2008

yet another captured kraut

"In the early morning hours of the 10th of June, 1944, a low flying German twin engine bomber was spotted. The 40-mm gun crew on the PC-619 commenced firing and the Heinkel HE-177 was shot down. The crew picked up the only survivor, a waist-turret gunner, who had parachuted to safety before the Heinkel hit the water. The prisoner, Hermann Goldenbaum, a Luftwaffe airman, was the only survivor of a crew of six. Eventually, Airman Goldenbaum was transfered to the LST-312, taken to Calshot, England and later to prison camps in Illinois and Idaho until the wars end."
-http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/010619.htm
More about PC (Patrol Combatants)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hermann Goldenbaum is my grandfather!!My Name is Nadine Goldenbaum from Germany!!

David Finlayson said...

Nadine! Oh how I wish I had made contact with you when I posted this back in 2008. Before he died, my Uncle Pat Finlayson wanted to know what ever happened to your grandfather. He asked me on several occasions. I had no way of finding out other than hoping that someone would reply to this post - and so you have.

My uncle died earlier this year. It would've mean a great deal to know how Hermann made out after his capture and after the war.

Even though Pat is gone, I'd love to hear his story. Is your grandfather still living? Did he ever write his story down, or share it with his grandchildren.

Take care and God bless you and your family.

-David Finlayson

P.S. Come join the LST-312 Facebook group. We'd be happy to have you there.

David Finlayson said...

Nadine-
I'm pretty sure I have a pic of your grandfather aboard the 312. Send me your email address and I'll send it to you.

finlayson@TaromaDOTcom

Anonymous said...

Hey .. My grandfather is 15 years dead! We lived in the Same House!3 generations! My Email : popi1234@gmx.de
Best wishes! Nadine