Tuesday, March 11, 2008

funny movies

There are not many good comedies on at the movies. There just aren't that many good comedies these days. The last few I went to - were simply not funny. Gina and I went to see Epic Movie and walked out within the first twenty minutes. Hollywood these days thinks that offensive = funny. Not so Hollywood. I remember going to see Mel Brooks and Peter Seller movies in the seventies and LMAO. Then came Saturday Night Live crew that brought us a steady flow of funny through much of the eighties...movies like Stripes, National Lampoon's Animal House, and Trading Places. I used to go to comedies all the time but now I wait till they come on television. Nothing worse than paying full ticket price for comedy and not get a laugh. Yo Hollywood - A COMEDY IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY!!!!" I've comprised a list of movies that I that I think are pretty darn funny. I've listed some old classics that come to mind...I know I left some old gems out. Feel free to comment on them or add your own.

Young Frankenstien
Monty Python's The Holy Grail
Monty Python's Meaning Of Life
Duck Soup
Horsefeathers
A Night At The Opera
A Day At The Races
It Happened One Night
Blazing Saddles
Harold & Maude
The Pink Panther
The Three Amigos
The Big Lebowski
Blues Brothers
Shrek 1
Shrek 2
Uncle Buck
Plains, Trains, and Automobiles
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Big Lebowski
Blazing Saddles
Airplane!
King Pin
National Lampoon's Vacation
The Jerk
The Lonely Guy
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
The Fuller Brush Man
Dr. Strangelove
Wilder Napalm
Napoleon Dynamite
Raising Arizona
A Mighty Wind

These movies are not in any kind of order, favorite or least. I must admit though that Young Frankenstien is at the top for a reason.

2 comments:

Darryl said...

Good list, David. Of course, NL Christmas Vacation (Cousin Eddie saying "That there's an RV, Clark!" comes to mind) is on my list, as well as some of the dramadies surrounding WWII such as Operation Petticoat and Father Goose. Different kind of comedy than what you list.

David Finlayson said...

Yes, movies with Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Gary Cooper and Cary Grant.

Father Goose was enjoyable but I favor I WAS A FEMALE WARBRIDE a little more. Yes, I've overlooked a bunch. I love the old silent movies...THE GENERAL is great by Buster Keaton flick. So many comedians come to mind from the early years of film. Oliver & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, W.C. Fields, Harold Lloyd.

I know that I overlooked tons of the classic comedians / comedies.

I enjoy the Vacation movies...the first was the best and yet they are all enjoyable.