Monday, May 14, 2007

i love this girl

I left the office to pick up Katie from school and went straight home. Katie went into her room to finish up her homework and do some reading. I didn't see her for several hours...that is except to feed her dinner...but off she disappeared into her room again. Later on in the evening she told me that she got to finish reading two books she had been working on. Yesterday she finished the sixth Harry Potter book and was telling me tonight how sad it was going to be when all the Potter stories come to an end.

We all know that feeling. When we open a good book a world starts spinning into existence and we are transported into wonderful works of fantasy that become very real and end all too soon at the last page. To go back will never be like the first time we crossed over through the Wardrobe or left The Shire into lands unknown. All good things come to an end. Today Katie finished The Magician's Nephew (Narnia Adventure of C.S. Lewis) and Bridge To Terabithia. As I was putting her to bed, she wanted to talk as she alit from her reading adventures. She wanted me to read the last page of Terabithia because she thought it was a very sweet way to end the story. She wanted to talk about characters and places and palaces and kingdoms that I had never heard of. She was a little sad that the stories came to an end but she was still tingling with excitement upon her return from those wonderful places.

We talked until it got too late for her to talk anymore. I listened and nodded, not knowing what all the names and places where she had been. It was finally time for her to settle down and say her bedtime prayer. She prayed for family and friends and all the usual important stuff. She did make my heart leap a little tonight. Her mind still on her books I suppose, she prayed, "God, I know that out of all the stories I've read, I know that you're story is the one that is true. I know that your story is better than all other stories. Thank you God."

Amen Katie.

This story, this one true story, is the one good thing that will never end.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

David...
You are a good father.
Don't let anyone ever say different.What you are doing today with your daughter's will carry over when they grow up and leave home. YOU have set the standard by which all other men who enter their lives will be measured by.
What an incredible gift for a father to give his daughter's.

I love your heart.....

mb

Darryl said...

Regardless of lifes struggles, heartaches, and challenges -- these are the moments that make it worthwhile. Spending time with your precious daughter, engaging with her in an imaginative conversation, observing (and participating in) her growing faith and walk with Christ . . . how awesome is that!

Keep on keepin' on, David. You're "doin' good".

darryl

A.J. said...

Wow. I cannot help but think of how different life would be had I had a Father like you David. Your girls are so blessed to have you as a Dad.