Friday, September 30, 2011

remnants of memory

11-03-1880 to 10-04-1869
Click image to read obituary.
Mrs. Burruss Finlayson was my dad's mother.  Her maiden name was Jennie Wait Foster.  I don't have a clear memory of her because I was a kid when she died.  I remember coming home from a friends house and walking through the kitchen door.  Mom was in the kitchen with other family members.  It was a very somber mood.  I was standing by the fridge when mom told me the news about grandmother.

We lived in Gadsden, AL and grandmother was living with my Aunt Jennie Llew Guyton in Columbia, SC at the time.  We would see our South Carolina kin about once or twice a year.  I really don't remember her that well - only a few mental glimpses.  The last time I talked to grandmother was when she came to town for a visit with Pat, Jennie Llew, Rutha, and Florence.  The house was always full when the Columbia Finlayson's came for a visit.  Dad had told me that grandmother's left shoulder was hurting her and asked if I would massage it for her.  Grandmother and I then went into my  bedroom where she loosened her dress enough for me to access the portion of her back and shoulder that was in need of attention.   She sat down on the edge of my bed and let me work on her shoulder.   I was even a massage therapist as a kid!  Dad recommended me for the job because he often asked to massage his atrophied legs.  I remember feeling very useful and important as a kid to get to massage my dad's mommy.  I remember Mrs. Finlayson being very appreciate for the therapy.  That was the last time I talked to grandmother.  It's the clearest memory I have of her.  All I recall about her is her gentle spirit and her sweet smile.


I'm glad my children have plenty of contact with both of their grandmothers.  Gina and I left our life in Bowling Green, KY when we found out that she was expecting our first.  We wanted our children to be around their grandmothers.  Though we missed Bowling Green, we know we made the right choice.  Both Katie and Kelsey have a very strong bond with their grandmothers.  I know they will each have many-many memories to cherish of them.

No comments: