Friday, January 16, 2009

telling on myself

This photo was taken about four years ago while at a kid event at Southside Elementary. Gina was sitting next to me as we waited for the teacher to start gabbing - eventually leading to kids singing and awards given for something or another. I was sick as a dog. I didn't know at the time that I had walking pneumonia. The only thing that came out of the pneumonia episode is this silly picture. It was funny enough before I warped it a little in PhotoShop. It is not a very pretty picture. Like Steve Martin once said, "comedy isn't pretty".

But that's not why I'm blogging. I wanted a silly photograph of me to illustrate a silly thing I did - a sadly - typically me thing. I had some ceiling lights out downstairs. As some of you know, I've been dealing with some health stuff. My numbers are all crazy - mainly because of my type 2 diabetes. I haven't been minding it like I should while I was at school and during the holidays. Anyway, my triglycerides, cholesterol, blood pressure, you name it have been spiking. I went and got some meds and have put myself on a strict diet to put the brakes on my racing innards. Last week I felt like crap. This week I don't feel as bad, but have been light headed and kind of faint. My vision is worse and I don't have much in the energy category. I've got to turn things around.

Anyway- today I went out in the garage to bring in the ladder. I dug out the 60 watt light-bulbs and commenced to climb up the ladder to change out the light-bulbs. I carefully unscrewed the globe, took care to not drop the nut and washer while changing out the bulbs. Each fixture takes two bulbs. After screwing in the light-bulbs, I carefully replaced the globe and washer and nut. Keep in mind that I am light headed and dizzy while doing so. I slowly climbed down the ladder and flicked the ON switch...nothing. I went over and replaced the other globe on the ceiling across the room feeling annoyed that one of the fixtures was apparently burned out. The fixture is only a few years old. It's one of those fancy ones that I wasn't sure Lowes would still have in stock. After replacing the other light-bulbs I looked at the dead fixture. I then started trying to remember if and where I had thrown away the burn out bulbs.

Like an idiot - I had replaced the burn out light bulbs with the same burned out light bulbs. One last slow light-headed trip up the ladder and it's working fine now.

2 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

Don't feel too bad.....I've done it myself a time or two. Doesn't do well for a good day...but it'll be ok.

David Finlayson said...

Remember the time I asked you to figure out what was wrong with the bathroom light fixture I installed - it wasn't working. You took a look at it and said that all it needed was a light bulb.