Saturday, January 24, 2009

good times

My Christmas present from Gina finally got here. Gina bought me a new Stetson fedora. I'll post a picture of it soon. I've worn my old Stetson out.

I woke up this morning and started cleaning house. Our home has been a category five disaster. Aside from my health issues, being at the office, and still cleaning up after Christmas, our house was a total mess. I had invited Jose and Denise over for some homemade chili today and needed to do some cleaning prior to their arrival. Gina, being a woman, wasn't about to just have me tidy up a bit. WE CLEANED HOUSE! It was non-stop from the time we woke up but I am very happy to have evicted that dastardly dust bunny family.

Jose' came over earlier in the morning and helped me pick up my Volkswagen. I appreciated Jose' helping me. We talked politics on the way out and I got to introduce him to Eddie Floyd (Floyd's VW Glencoe, AL). We hung around and talked a little bit and then Jose' and I parted ways until later. Eddie complimented my bug and said that he was glad to see it go (with a smile). He said nobody wants to buy his old VW's while my VW was parked on his lot. He says he's gotten a lot of people stopping by to try to buy it. It's a no-sale folks!


Eddie did a great job on my bug. I know the Volkswagen is going to need more work around the corner - I'm doing a little bit to improve the bug as I can afford it. Eddie hooked me up with an original German muffler (not an after market muffler). He did oodles of stuff to my bug:

  • Cleaned and reconditioned my intake manifold
  • Fixed the heater in my car
  • Replaced my horn
  • Replaced the dome light fixture
  • A new tail light lens
  • New points - set timing and adjusted the carburetor
  • He also checked my fuel line to make sure everything was okay - replace a length of hose.
The car ran quieter all the way home. It was nice to have the heater working for a change. I am really glad I found Eddie. It's always great to find a mechanic that you can really trust. Bill Noah in Southside is another great mechanic and good guy. I use Bill on my domestic vehicles.

I've got other tasks I'd like to have worked on my bug - but they'll have to wait. Sooner or later I will have to put a heliocol in that car and that means pulling the engine to do it. That will cost a pretty penny - but Eddie says "drive it till the plug shoots out and then bring it in".

After I got back home - I cleaned the kitchen and started the chili. I made a HUGE pot of it and then let it simmer while I helped the rest of the family clean house. Jose' and Denise got in about 2:00pm. We had chili and a great conversation. We all went downstairs and pulled out the guitars for a short while. Denise wanted to go through my worship songs and I hope she found all that she was looking for. She's learning to play guitar and trying to step out a little. God bless her!


I started a fire while they were visiting. We sat around and had a nice conversation. After they left, we all stayed downstairs in the dimly lit room by the fireplace. Gina put her feet up and faced the fire while Katie, Kelsey and I watched the new Journey To The Center Of The Earth. You're right Jose', it is a pretty darn good movie.

Katie is now by the fireplace reading. Gina and Kelsey are asleep in their beds. Katie will be going to bed soon and I'll take my place by the fireplace. It was a busy but very pleasant day. I haven't checked the weather for tomorrow yet - but I'd like to take my bug out for a spin.

1 comment:

RODRIGUEZ said...

David, your family is the definition of hospitality! Special thanks to Katie for her genuine concern for my comfort. Love to all. kdr