Friday, January 30, 2009

Burruss Finlayson

I've been posting a good bit recently about my grandfather Burruss Finlayson. I thought I'd post a picture of him for you. This is the picture I saw of him the most growing up. It was framed and hanging in the old household at 2624 Scenic Hwy. I need to scan the other picture that hung on the wall - the Burruss and Jennie Wait's portrait.

My favorite piece of furniture in the house is my grandfather's chifferobe. I brought it back from Columbia, SC. It was in terrible shape. Termites took a nice bite out of it and the clawed legs had to be removed because of rot. The chifferobe had been stored in a shed for many years. I remember wondering if I should even accept it when offered. To bring it home meant a lot of work. It is a huge piece and took up a lot of garage space until I could get to it. I had Mr. Rakestraw (my oldest sister's father in-law) cut the legs off for me and give it a new base. He is an excellent crafts man and repaired the termite damage. I picked up the piece and stripped and stained it. After all was said and done, I was glad that I accepted the gift - and brought it into my home.

Funny thing about the chifferobe. I saw and image within the wood grain of the left front door of the furniture. I pointed the latent image out to Gina. She had to look for a bit and then her mouth dropped open, "It's you!" It's weird, but I can see the image of my face within it's grain. To me it's a God winking at me moment.

No comments: