Monday, October 6, 2008

weekend

The nice part about this weekend was that I didn't have to crack a book. With two test behind me this week (Monday/Lab, Wednesday/Kinesiology), I could actually relax a little bit. Poor Gina had taken on clients for all of Saturday afternoon. She had hurt her back lifting something with her Dad on Wednesday. She had back surgery a while back and the doctor told her not to do that kind of stuff. She was feeling a little better as Sunday afternoon rolled around.

I arrived at church late on Sunday. I nearly didn't go because I didn't leave the house until 10:30 - driving from where we live in Southside to church in Gadsden takes more than a minute or two. Church now starts at 10:30. Katie wanted to go so bad and so I went anyway. Katie loves God stuff. I am very proud of her. Anyway, Brook, Liz, Jamie Pickle, and Jimmy Henderson were well into their worship set. Brook & Liz's voices blend so nicely together. The whole team were tightly linked together - a great sound - a good moment. I am glad that I went.

I took my time coming home from church because Katie wanted to do something special - other than just driving straight home. It was such a fair weather day that I took the very long not so straight way home in the Superbeetle. I drove the Glencoe route and hunted roads with interesting curves and hills. There is a very steep hill that's out there that I wonder how many folks actually dare driving it. We did. Katie's eyes opened wide and she laughed as we went down it.


I drove a little off the beaten path in Southside. It's funny that when you've got a little car like that - you begin to keep your eye out for the little dirt roads and not really anxious to take the direct route. The VW is not just a car - it's a touringmobile.


Last night after spending the day washing piles of clothes, cooking, and cleaning - I told Gina that I was going to fade into the night. Gina didn't really want me to go but I told her that this might be my last chance to go to a drive-in this year. I didn't get away until 6:45 and the first feature started at 7:00. I knew that I was going to miss most of the first feature. I drove the bug down past Leesburg - toward the 411 Twin Drive-In. It is still my favorite drive-in. They keep the grounds mowed and clean of debris - as if you're sitting in some one's back yard watching a movie. I came in real late on EAGLE EYE - a Steven Spielberg action flick. I got to see the last half of it - the plot was so thin that there was no problem catching up or figuring out what I had missed.

The batteries in my jambox died early on in DEATH RACE. My VW radio doesn't work - so I sat there and borrowed the distant sound waves from a neighboring group of tailgaters a few rows back. Death Race is a remake of a Roger Corman movie, DEATH RACE 2000 . It starred David Carradine. Don't waste your time on the original. This remake is actually better than the original- which isn't a high hurdle to leap. The movie wasn't great but the night was so clear , and the stars were brilliant above me - and the weather was perfect!

I drove home at 11:00. The bug wasn't as much fun to drive home at night because there wasn't much scenery to see other than on coming cars with their high beams on. Driving home did remind me of coming home from the Rebel Drive-In in Chigger (Brooks old 66 bug). We went to a bunch of drive-in movies in that little red bug. Once Brook, Jerry & Joey Pullen and I went to see GRAND PRIX (1966) at the Rebel Drive-in in that little red bug. Brook would get so into the racing scenes that he'd occasionally grab the steering wheel and try to keep James Garner back on the tack.


The drive home also reminded me of when I had my first little 73 bug. I worked at Rodco (silk-screening place) and would often catch a double feature before driving home. It was a sweat shop job and I didn't want to just go home to wake up and go at it again. Instead, I'd catch a twin feature, eat dinner in the car (usually KFC meat & a biscuit). It was during one of those nights that I saw AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. That was a great movie to watch at a drive-in A LONE!!! It was such a great scarry movie to watch outdoors that I got the hell out of there right after it was over.

It was a nice weekend. I got to be with the wife, be with the kids, catch some flicks, catch up on cleaning and very little HOMEWORK!!!! In a few weeks I will be starting CLINICS on Thursday and Saturdays. The rest of the year is going to be hectic.

No comments: