Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The house on Arcade

The family moved to 2624 Scenic Highway while Mom was expecting me. Before that, the Finlayson's lived in a little house on Arcade Street from 1953 until 1958. Arcade Street is over in East Gadsden, just a few blocks beyond Gadsden State Community College, off of George Wallace Drive. In the above photo, Jennie is sitting on the floor while Aunt Florence Finlayson, Dad (showing Jennie the magazine), Jennie Wait Foster Finlayson and Uncle Pat Finlayson sit around the coffee table. I happen to still have that old coffee table at my house. It's a pretty beat up old table these days - lots of little scratches and dents. It didn't have a chance with all those kids growing up around it.

This photo was taken at the house on Arcade Steet too. Jennie is just a baby in this picture. Brook is the toddler with his head in between Aunt Florence and Jennie. Come to think of it...add a beard and Brooky still pretty much looks the same. I miss Florence. She passed away not long after Gina and I got married (1990). The last time I talked to Florence was on the way to my wedding. I know that out of all the Finlayson children, Florence loved Brooky the most.

It's nice looking through these old photographs. As time goes by, there are more absentees among the Finlayson clan. I vaguely remember my Grandmother Finlayson, who passed away in 1969. I do remember her sweet smile. I remember Christmas' in Columbia. Florence, Rutha and Wofford have been gone for a long time now. I look forward to that day when we'll see them all again.

No comments: