Tuesday, April 15, 2008

day at deptford

A heartfelt thank you to Wynne L. Creekmore, Jr for sending me four images of the buzz bomb damage at Deptford. Mr. Creekmore's father was the Captain of USS LST-384. It was kind of him to mail copies of these images to Uncle Pat, who I know will be very excited to find them in his mail box. I scanned them into PhotoShop and did a little clean up. Click on the ship names to read more about about each LST at the navsource.org site. USS LST-384 USS LST-312 USS LST-981


The above crewman unknown, more than likely this was taken aboard LST-384. Pat said that the bomb did a good bit more damage to the 384 that was moored closely aside LST-312.

The Invasion of France and Germany
Author: Samuel Eliot Morison
Publisher: University of Illinois Press
IV. Miscellaneous Bases / Page 61

"Deptford, on the Thames below London, established February 1944. Advanced amphibious maintenance base, especially for LST and other beaching craft from the Mediterranean for assignment to the British follow-up force for NEPTUNE; 25 officers and 425 men by 1 May. Owing to the location, this base was exposed to frequent enemy bombings, but on 1 June was able to report that the 38 American LST attached to Force “L” were 100 per cent operational. It became a main target for German V-1 bombs on and after 13 June. LST-312 and LST-384, when moored abreast, received a direct hit on 8 July, were heavily damaged and lost 14 men killed and 11 badly wounded."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe I found these. My Dad's half brother was one of those who lost his life on LST 384. Unfortunately, my Dad never met his brother since my Dad was given up for adoption as an infant.

David Finlayson said...

Thanks for dropping by Anonymous. These photos were sent to me after I started blogging about my uncle Pat. I have a facebook group for LST 312. More photos are posted there.

Unknown said...

I just purchased a ships wheel that says USS LST 384 on the brass plate in the center of it. Don't know how to tell if it is authentic, but if it is, I'm excited to own such a piece of naval history!

nremta said...

I was doing some genealogy work on my family and found that my uncle was on the 384. Apparently he was assigned to her on the day of the attack. He must have made it through because I met him later. He was the oldest of my fathers brothers. It was so great to find information. Were can I find more about the 384? Thanks y'all

nick said...

my dad was on that ship.i have some large pictures of the ship and a picture of its medals.his name was max miller.can i send in these pictures? nick

Anonymous said...

My uncle was aboard USS LST384 his name was Clayton R. SWAIN. He survived D-Day

Anonymous said...

My father-in-law, George Breunig was on the LST 981 and is possibly the last reminding crew member. He is still able to wear his naval uniform today. He has often spoken to his grandchildren of the night the 312 & 384 was hit while moored together. He actually was on duty that night and was on the 312 talking to two others when the buzz bomb hit..he jump off in time but the other 2 weren't as lucky. We always wondered about that night and now are able to see what the ships that where hit looked like. Thank you so much for sharing!

David Finlayson said...

I'm glad this post has been helpful to you. Feel free to download these images for your records. Check for other blog posts here at Long Journey Home to see if you can glean anymore information.

I launched a facebook page for LST-312 a few years ago where other pictures and articles can be found. Perhaps you'll find more information there in the archives.

At the group, I've posted general information about LSTs in the European Theater of Operations.

Anonymous said...

My father was on the LST 384. His name is Stanley Neal. I believe he is the unknown crewman in the last picture.

Anonymous said...

My Dad was a crew member on the USS LST 384, his name was Thomas “Mac” or “Tom” McCormack, he was on the ship in Portsmouth when it was bombed and I have several pics he had taken it ship mates had given him. At one of the reunions there was a book put together by a shipmate or shipmates, I am looking for another copy if anyone has one

David Finlayson said...

If any of you have photos to share, please join me at the LST 312 Facebook group. I've posted most of the photos from Pat Finlayson wartime photo album there. I welcome each of you to share your photos of your fathers and their LST's experiences there. We'd be glad to welcome you aboard.