Tuesday, December 4, 2007

toosday

I have a cold. It's not a bad cold, just enough to make life a little uncomfortable. I've had it a few days now. I take a ton of herbs and vitamins these days. Maybe taking them have helped keep the illness at bay. I do have a mild sore throat and my voice is kind of iffy. I am going to lead worship tomorrow night and hope that it holds up. I don't feel great but I'm not miserable.

I finished my Christmas/worship song this evening. I am very happy with it. It's called Season of Joy. I enjoyed writing it because it is so much fun to sing. I wanted to finish it before leading worship tomorrow. I am taking it with me.

While working on this particular song I realized that I enjoy writing music more than drawing. My illustration wander like scribbles but my songs usually take on a solid direction after only a line or two. Most artwork that I deem successful are those that please clients. In my sketchbooks, I draw for myself. I don't know where my lines will take me...a constant exploration. I rarely use pencil or tools to perfect illustration (unless working for a client). Songwriting on the other hand, I find great pleasure in composing something structured, meaningful and pleasing. For decades I have wondered what skill/talent I enjoy the more. I can pack a drawing/doodle away and never give it a second thought. Songs however, I want to revisit, pull off the shelf and sing into any interested ear.

Another thing. My music almost always points upward, like a leaf unfolds to the sun. I had a fellow ask me a few months ago (while singing at The Grind) if all my songs were faith based. I thought about it for a moment and said, "Yes, I suppose they are." I used to write a lot more loves songs than I do now. But even my best love song, the one I wrote for Gina, still points heavenward. I can't help it.

I have become quite good creating solid graphic design. Never made much of a living at it mind you, but proud of the work I've created down through the years. I wonder if I'd enjoy writing songs if I had to make a living at it? It's nice to have talent, but wouldn't it be nice to have a talent that could bring home a little more bacon?

I have yet to get with J to master Picks. It's possible that we'll do it within the week.

Mychael J. T. called and left message while I was out. He wanted me to call him. He's working on a new worship CD. We've talked more in the past three months than we have in the last ten years. Nice that we've reconnected. Great to have him as a friend.

God bless my friends.

p.s. Like my doodles...my blogs don't have much in structure or meaning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really thought that worship was awesome last night.

I really liked your new song.

God is all over that dream of Gina's.
73 yellow bug and 3 different people dreaming about it, has got to be significant.