Tuesday, December 18, 2007

one of the Rockefeller boys

Henry Westbrook- Just to say thanks for the swell job you did for the 1st Platoon of "H" Company, 305th.
- Winthrop Rockfeller C.O.

Lieutenant
United States Army

I Googled to see which Rockefeller gave dad this compliment. As it turns out, Winthrop Rockefeller is the one that later became Governor of Arkansas. His biography is an interesting read. It does mention his service in the 305.

There's some photos of military brass hanging on the wall behind the band. Maybe this is the gig that Lieutenant Rockefeller was in the audience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey David -

Last time I was home, dad played some of Liz's music for me. Please let her know how great I thought it was. I checked out her myspace page, and saw that Brian Bankston was playing with her. He and I go back to the JSU days (daze?). Great guitarist and alto sax.

I really enjoyed seeing these pics and reading the stories about your dad's orchestra. I remember Brooke telling me about all of this when I worked for Jennifer (I believe we were in the middle of installing a sprinkler system for someone).

Anyway, I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas.

See you soon.

Josh Bynum