Sunday, May 6, 2007

the weekend shuffle

Napkin doodle from Friday night with family at Applebee's. I don't really know what to do with the loose silly sketches, the ones I draw when I don't have books. Don't ask me if there is a story behind it because most of my doodles are moments when I draw not knowing where I'll end up .
Next week I've been asked to sketch people at the Eagle Rock Auction to be held at Crosspoint church. I've never been to Crosspoint. The church is so big looking from the highway that I've always turned down Gina when she wanted to go. She tells me she enjoys going there but knows that I wouldn't care for the intense crowd. I prefer intimacy.
I seldom go places to do caricatures on demand because it's my least favorite thing to do. If I do a caricature, I'd rather have time to study the subject. I just know that I am running the risk of offending someone. The nature of drawing caricatures isn't to compliment the subject but rather emphasis the prominent features. I might have to showcase one's ears or nose etc and most people don't care to have their most prominent features emphasised. I am going to just go and have fun, see what happens...hope that nobody goes home with their panties in a wad.
Yesterday morning, Saturday, I helped my pal Jerry move. It's a very nice place that's not to far from my mom's house. Jerry and I have counted on each other to move one another countless times over the last few decades. This time though, even though it wasn't a big move, I felt my middle-age. Back when I was in my early twenties I actually worked for a furniture company as a delivery dude. About the only thing that was uncomfortable during that time was delivering in extreme heat. The box of that truck was terrible to be in for too long. I was a tonka toy back then and could haul just about anything. If a heavy piece of furniture had to get upstairs and inside, then downstairs and to the side...I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could take it on. Today though, while pulling, tugging, lifting and shoving...I had doubts here and there that I would be able to make it through certain feats. For the first time during a move, I brushed against my physical limitation. There were moments that I didn't know if I'd make it up step.
I am middle aged. I am also achy right now. I wonder how I'll roll out of bed tomorrow.
After the move, I came home and took a quick shower, put on some fresh clothes and headed down to the docks where Ken was running the sound for the Duck Race for the Boys Club. I had taken my guitar with me but I was just to tuckered to do anything about it. Since Gina was out shopping with the girls, I hung with Ken and talked in the shade. I helped him unplug the P.A. when it was over. It was hot but a nice part of my day with Ken.
Gina and I hooked up in the evening and we had a date night. We ate at Ruby Tuesdays and then circled the mall to see Spiderman 3 at the Premiere. It's a pretty good movie by the way. It was the late show and we didn't get back home until a little after midnight.
It was a very pleasant and adventurous day today. My body hurts. I should stop now, take a Tylenol PM and try to get some sleep.

No comments: