Tuesday, May 8, 2007

learning to fly part duex

Maybe it's because I'm weary of control freaks within the church. Many leaders need to loosen their reign a bit. A primary roll of pastors/leaders should be to help encourage Christians to grow from milk to meat and onward to a deeper walk and service. A certain amount of pastoral control is definitely necessary but a hindrance if taken to extremes. It seems such extremes are too. We all need to be accountable to authority but we should not let ourselves be held back.

We can't just fault pastors. If we don't grow personally, have relationship with God (and not through a preacher or church) we are to blame. I am to blame if I grant another that much power and influence in and over my life. It's my fault if I don't have my own walk with God...if I don't make Him first. It is every disciples responsibility to obey and pursue His great commission. Not a man, not a church, but all who are part of The Body of Christ.

I'm sure all of you have met pastors who ruled over their flock with an iron hand. Sometimes it's not an ego thing but rather out of personal fears. Life is messy and messy is sometimes unavoidable. As the head of my household, I know that leading, raising children isn't a neat process. It is an easy thing to do for a child and not teach them to do for themselves. What would my children learn if I held their hand in everything and never allow them to use their own head and hands? I would be teaching dependence rather than independence.

It's sad when leaders won't let go, encouraging dependence for what ever their reason. Either way, by not helping to assist in raising, empowering and releasing another, directly hinders the workings of a church.

1 comment:

Darryl said...

Good observations, David. Accountibility is definitely needed within church leadership. All too often, members look to the pastor for all the answers, expecting him to set the course in the right direction. Some pastors fill that role, which sometimes leads to the 'cult of personality' situation, or with a pastor being asked to leave.

I've found that elder-led churches that practice accountability at all levels are the healthiest. I've experienced the churches on each of the other extremes - - and hope to never be a member of one again!

It's one thing when a pastor requires adherence to core scriptural principles -- but totally different when he has to choose the color of the paint in the nursery!