Friday, May 4, 2007

i miss just playing


How long has it been since I had a gig? Too long. I've been writing songs since I was seventeen. It was on my heart to write long before that. I enjoy performing the songs I've written just as much as I enjoyed creating them. As a Christian, I've heard a lot of other Christians downgrading performance. Please allow me to clarify myself. I am not speaking of performing during worship...I am talking about a songwriter performing songs he's written about life, love, and God.
I enjoy performing music and especially when it's on a stage with a friend or two. It's been a very long time. Michael Bynum and I used to have so much fun as Dreamer back in eighties. Hey Michael, remember Where Are You Now? That was so much fun to play and it never was as fun to play without you. I loved that guitar riff you added to it..made it complete. Later when my brother Brook joined us as we became The Guise, the coffeehouse stage band. We did a very nice rendition of Amazing Grace. We had so much fun. Through out most of the nineties I played solo since I lived much of that time in Bowling Green, KY. It was during that solo time that I actually came as close to ministry as I'll ever get. God gave me a bunch of new songs that were pretty message driven and allowed me time and opportunities to hone the craft. When I came back to Gadsden, God had me lay down my guitar for a couple of years and learn to worship in a new way. When I did pick up the guitar, it was with Jose' Rodriguez. We played together between the years 2000 - 2002 as Lyric & Rhythm. We had a great time playing together.
I am probably more relaxed when going it solo because I know it's hard for folks to follow where I lead. I don't think I'm a very good leader because Gina says I sing every song differently every time. I personally don't think that's a bad thing. I don't recall ever trying to achieve a polished performance, I just wanted it to be as truthful and as intimate as possible. It's more natural to just start playing and see what happens.
The new business takes most of my time these days. When I leave the office...I usually have plenty of work at home to tend. Afterwards, I am usually dead tired. When there is time, I want to take a nap...age thing I guess.
I've got a songbook full of original work that I probably haven't sung in three years...maybe longer. Last summer I wanted so bad to plug in somewhere downtown or at a park and just play for passer-bys. What's up with that? Why is that in my heart? Though most of my songs are influenced by my faith, I do not portray what I do as ministry. God gave me a gift to write and sing and it's something that brings a simple pleasure to do. Last year I simply didn't have the time to venture outside like I wanted to. Maybe this year...

6 comments:

A.J. said...

I personally love hearing you play. You have no idea what an inspiration you have been to me over the years since 1999 when I have had the opportunity to hear you sing and play. I love your heart, and willingness to just "let go and let it flow." I hope to get to hear you play again as well :)

David Finlayson said...

Thanks AJ!

It's the strangest thing. I posted "i miss just playing" late in the afternoon at the office while Gina was finishing up some paperwork and the kids were occupied with crayons. When we got home, I noticed that my old friend Ken B. had tried to call. When I returned his call, he told me that he was running sound for the duck race thing down on the docks tomorrow and if I'd be interested in bringing my guitar to fill a possible slot. I thought being asked to go and play (outside at that) after making that post kind of cool.

I've got to help my friend Jerry C. move tomorrow morning and not sure if I'll be able to do it. If I am up to it and if Ken hasn't filled the slot, and if weather permits, I'll try to be there. If the slot is filled and I'm through at Jerry's, I'll try to just go and hang out with Ken. I don't get to see him that much.

Darryl said...

David,

Whether you realize or not, whether you accept it or not, whether you like it or not -- your music is a ministry! God has used your music to further His cause in people you have never met. I've given copies of Stand to a couple of dozen people, many of whom keep it at hand -- and have commented how the songs have spoken to them!

I've only heard you play solo, with guitar and harmonica -- I'd love to hear you in a group! I know the period spent in BG during the 90's was difficult for you and Gina due to distance from friends and family -- but Kris and I are better off for it!

Get out there and play, brother -- if for no other reason than to use the wonderful gifts God has given you!

Hopefully, we will get to AL in the next couple of years -- and if so, I expect a concert!

db

David Finlayson said...

As a songwriter it's nice to know that folks are not just enjoying the music but more so- that the content hits home. I can't help for most of my songs to be about God. He tends to walk in at any given moment.

STAND was a sharp left turn from what I had originally set out to produce. Once Gina and I decided to make a CD of my songs, God started giving me new songs that quickly replaced my original song list. I ended up with a CD full of messages that I didn't know what to do with at first. God then started opening up doors up in Bowling Green for me to play. It was a nice adventure.

I came back to Gadsden to be taken on a different adventure. God took away my guitar for a few years and taught me a freedom in worship that I had never known before. This freedom changed the way I approached all music. He then gave me back my guitar and told me He liked everything I did. It didn't matter what other Christians thought as long as I had his Okay. Pretty cool.

RODRIGUEZ said...

I was just thinking the same thing. We haven't played in such a long time.....about time don't you think?

David Finlayson said...

I WOULD LOVE TO!!!!