Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Duke's 100th


John Wayne did not think of himself as a great actor. He has been said to have had a narrow range as a performer. The larger than life image that he created for himself wasn't an accident. We all know that The Duke is the greatest. Sure, you can watch all those formula cowboy movies throughout the 60's and see that one familiar roll he played in all of them. Formula though they were, all were exciting to watch. Duke though, wasn't limited.
Wayne's personal favorite movie was John Ford's THE QUIET MAN. The most noted of his westerns were John Ford's FORT APACHE, RIO GRANDE, and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. My favorite western role is THE SEARCHERS, also directed by John Ford. I always appreciate his cowboy movies growing up but loved his WWII era movies SANDS OF IWO JIMA, FLYING TIGERS, BACK TO BATAAN and all time favorite THEY WERE EXPENDABLE (co-starring with George Montgomery). These movies were great roles that had to be filled with a great actor, and John Wayne filled the boots of every one of them.
The Princess Theatre burned before my time I still remember going down to the movies with Brook to watch all the new John Wayne movies down at the Pitman. Clint Eastwood came along in those wonderful spaghetti westerns and the term anti-hero came into play. John Wayne though, always remained the hero in his pictures and we wanted him to stay that way. What kid growing up during that time didn't want to be John Wayne when they grew up. What little boy with toy guns strapped to his side didn't pretend he was John Wayne? Raise your hands out there.
John Wayne was born May 26, 1907. It's his 100th birthday, can you believe it fellow boomers? He made 200 movies in the span of 50 years and stayed on top of the people's favorite during that entire time. Today, he still rides up there...almost thirty years after his death, third down from Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington. Sorry guys, but as good as you are....and as broad of a range you two can act....The Duke is still number one. I bet 100 years down the trail, John Wayne will still be riding tall long after today's movie icons fade.
While John Wayne was dying of cancer (almost thirty years ago), he made his final farewell movie called THE SHOOTIST. It was a good movie but I wonder what John Ford would have done if he had been around to direct.
Happy Birthday Duke

6 comments:

Darryl said...

My hand is raised, David. Other than Jimmy Stewart, the Duke is my favorite from that era. Don't forget Rio Bravo -- when you put Duke with Dino you know you ar ein for some fun . . . .a little cheese, but lots of fun!

David Finlayson said...

He was in a great movie with Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, yet another great movie directed by John Ford. It was Wayne and Stewarts first movie together. I too am a big fan of Jimmy Stewart.

John and Dino were also in another great movie together, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER. It's one of those movies I consider a formula movie for DUKE but I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. Character actor George Kennedy also had a roll in this movie.

Darryl said...

LOVE The Sons of Katie Elder -- having grown up with two older brothers, we had a few rough and tumble "disagreements", with a few less punches than the movie. Liberty Valance is a great movie, one in which JW comes as close to being the "anti-hero" as he does in any movie (from my recollection).

Don't forget all the great scenes with Maureen O'Hara in several films.

And we didn't even mention the Rooster Cogburn movies (formulaic, but fun!).

Greene Street Letters said...

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon....Love it.

I also like Sands of Iwo Jima....
C'mon Leathernecks...saddle up!"

My dad reminded me of John Wayne..They were both big, barrel chested men with voices that carried a lot of weight and authority. My Dad loved John Wayne's Movies.

I am also crazy about the early movies he did when he was one of the THREE MESQUITEER's. You could tell he was going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future. All in all.....I don't think there is a bad John Wayne Movie. Even Donovan's Reef with Lee Marvin was a hoot to watch. North To Alaska...with Ernie Kovac's..the fight scene in the mud was a side that we didn't get to see of the Duke...comedy.

We grew up in the "Bestest" time ever....

mb

David Finlayson said...

One really really really bad movie...THE CONQUERER. John Wayne plays Genghis Khan like a cowboy. Really bad movie.

I do like those early old John Wayne shorts. Those were the days of singing cowboys and by-golly, John Wayne sang...sort of. It's hilarious to watch him roving along atop his trusty horse with guitar in hand singing with someone elses voice dubbed in. Funny stuff.

About father's and John Wayne. When I was a kid I looked up to my dad like The Duke. Even on crutches...he too was my John Wayne...only I never heard my dad say damn or hell.

David Finlayson said...

Oh, I almost forgot. He tried to warm up the cold war with a love story between a woman soviet fighter pilot and an American fighter pilot in JET PILOT. So John Wayne was in two bombs that I know of...both Howard Hughes productions - THE CONQUERER and JET PILOT. Did The Duke ever star in any more of Hughes films? Let us hope not!