Sunday, May 13, 2007

drawing drawing and drawing

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was asked to draw caricatures at the Eagle Rock Auction and Picnic last Saturday night at Cross Point Community Church. I wasn't sure what was going to happen and how I was going to do. Cathy Thomas, an event coordinator, gave me free rein. I got there a little early and set up shop at the end of a table. All of my patrons ended up being kids and I had a great time cutting up with them as I drew them. I didn't have an adult sit for me but that was fine. It was a pleasure to be surround by various ages of kids, making them laugh and answering questions about drawing, etc. It was a very good time. I drew caricatures for about five hours non-stop. I drew every kid that came to my table and I don't know how many I drew. I think most of them were Eagle Rock boys and they were all great kids. I enjoyed hanging with them and hope it was just as entertaining to them as it was for me.

As an artist, I am not asked to do this kind of thing much. I drew for a Kid's Day a few years ago and the line ran half way around Convention Hall. That was one long intense session. I drew and drew and drew and I think I got everybody. Usually I go places and sing -- not draw. It's a change of pace but a little nerve racking because I don't do it much. Last night was nice because I got into the swing of things early on and just went with it. It was a good time.

No comments: