Friday, May 18, 2007

drive-in junky

Anybody that knows me knows that I love going to the drive-ins. My earliest drive-in experience was seeing Disney's Absent Minded Professor with the family at Rainbow Drive-In (RIP). Anytime mom and dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday growing up- it was a trip to the drive-in. Once while visiting my uncle in Macon, GA my parents took me to see Bed knobs and Broomsticks. I really wanted to see Willard...the one about the killer rats. For some reason my parents didn't want to take me. Bed knobs wasn't my cup of tea but I at least got to go to the drive-ins. The last time I went to Rainbow Drive-In was to see Patton. I am surprised that dad stayed to watch it because of George's foul language. I went to Rebel Drive-in the most growing up. That's where I saw all the triple feature spaghetti westerns and American International horror flicks with my brother Brooky and Jamey Moore. The Rebel stayed open through much of the eighties and I went when they had something decent to watch. They started showing a lot of cheesy skin flicks before they closed down. When Gina and I got married we moved to Bowling Green, KY. We found a drive-in in Franklin, KY and started going.

Some people like to go and sit in their cars but I don't. I've learned how to do it right. I like to invite family and friends...people that I want to laugh with during the movie. If the movie turns out terrible, you can always have a great conversation. I take folding chairs, a folding table, a good jam box, cooler full of beverages, and a bug candle. Every now and then I make a ton of hot dogs and popcorn. There's been several occasions when I've taken an iced down watermelon. The only place to sit is up front where you can spread out a little, toss Frisbee with the kids, or watch them catch lightning bugs before the show. I like to get there an hour early so I can picnic with my pals. I like going to the drive-ins more than I did when I was a kid because I've learned how to do it right. It's a party.

Tonight Jose and Denise have invited me to go to Sand Mountain Drive-in to see Shrek 3 and Firehouse Dog. It's going to be a packed because of Shrek so we are going to get there when the gates open. We may not get to see the second feature because Kelsey might not hold up. I'm always for staying for the second feature. I am looking forward to tonight. Anyone interested in joining won't have a hard time finding us.

I can't remember the last time I got to go to the drive-in. Life has been so busy. I'm going to pick up Katie from school today and head home to clean out our popcorn popper. I might stop by the store and pick up some wieners.

No comments: