Tuesday, July 20, 2010

say it with a bullet

A-TEAM * * * * * I don't recall ever watching the A-Team television show.  All I can recall is that there were a million rounds spent and no one got hurt.  I also remember the commercials that ran showing a vehicle being flipped each week.  It seemed that they were doing the same stunt over and over again, only with a different vehicle.

I don't know why I kept being drawn to see this movie.  The only pull was that Liam Neeson had taken on the roll of Hannibal Smith - filling the combat boots of the late George Peppard.

So what did I think of it?   Roger Ebert hated it -  I loved it.  A-Team is thoroughly entertaining - full of explosions and one-liners. Gina wanted to go with me.  I highly doubted that she was going to like it - but she also loved it.  It looks like they're setting this up for sequels and I hope they do.

The A-Team (2010) reminded me greatly of my favorite comic book as a kid, Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos (Marvel).  There is this scene where the A-Team are in a tank descending via parachute.  Face uses the MG on the turret to take out one of the attacking aircraft.  It immediately reminded me of a yellowed page from Sgt Fury comic book where Corporal Timothy 'Dum Dum' Dugan blew a German Messerschmitt out of the air with a hand-grenade.  There is nothing remotely plausible regarding the A-Team.  The movie is what it is.  I didn't go into the theater with the idea that I was going to experience plausible entertainment.  I just went in wanting to be entertained.  I was not disappointed.

No comments: