Sunday, September 30, 2007

sunday

Last night at The Grind was pleasant. I opted to sing outside. The weather was nice. It was a football night so the crowd was small. Come to think of it...there wasn't a crowd at all. No biggy. Gina showed up and played her d'jembe. I got home a little after midnight and I was bone tired. It's hauling that sound equipment around. I woke up around 4:00 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep without taking something for the body aches. It 4:00 p.m. and I am still feeling it.

I can't complain too much. It's great having a sound system to call my own. Though out the eighties I used one of Christian Bro's smaller Bose systems. CBA at the time had a large touring system and two small systems. As those systems became unavailable in time, my brother Brook generously lend me his Bose system. Brook sold his system sometime in the late nineties. I wasn't playing much, hence I didn't notice it missing. I started singing with Jose' about five years ago. Bruce Cornutt let me borrow his a bunch of times. There were a lot of time that the venues I'd play furnished me with a system. Let the player beware though, life is like a box of chocolates, some systems are better left turned off. Bruce eventually sold his system. By this time, I was long past tired of being a sound system borrower.

About four of five years ago Jose' gave me an old set of Peavy speakers. Over time I was eventually able to pull together a system that sounds pretty good. Brook and Jose' recently helped me revamp the old speakers and sound so much better. Now that I have a system of my own, I dread having to tote it everywhere. I think it's my age. I am pushing 50 and it takes a little effort getting the system to the van, to the stage, play 3 to 4 hours then to the van, then back home. I am blessed though to have a system when I need it. It had been so long having to trouble others for one down through the years.

3 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

In a few years...you'll have your own roadies (Katie and Kelsey)

RODRIGUEZ said...

I saw the photo of the microphone...I thought....that's not Dave's mic....it's missing the colored electrical tape. Green is it?

David Finlayson said...

Yes...like I'm going to go set up a mic and take a picture of it for a blog. It's so much easier to google and image.