Sunday, August 5, 2007

because of you


If Larry Norman was the grandfather of Jesus Music (Christian Rock-n-Roll), Keith Green is the big brother. The Sunday edition of The Gadsden Time published a half page article on one of my old favorites. The article gives a brief biography of Keith Green’s life, music, and death.. It’s nice that Keith is remembered from time to time.

Many people talk about where they were when Kennedy’s die, but I remember where I was July 28th, 1982 when Keith Green went home. I was on my way back from Helen, GA with my parents. We heard the news over the radio. I thought it odd to hear Keith’s name being mentioned over a secular broadcast…something about a plane going down upon take-off, killing Keith and two of his young children. It was so very sad.

The first time I ever heard Keith Green was at a concert down UAB back in 1977 (the year I graduated high school). I didn’t know who Keith was at the time. It was one of Christian Brother’s Association early sound rental ventures that I was invited to go along (and work). It was before the ministry had our own truck so Don Rakestraw had borrowed the Laverty Music truck for the venture. I remember Brook and me riding down in the box of the truck, keeping large loosely secured P.A. equipment from falling on us. I remember at one point, laying on top of two of two mountain cabinets while Don steered the truck down I-59.

When we arrived at UAB, we started unloading the equipment. There, on the stage was a bushy headed bearded fellow donned in faded blue jeans and a flannel shirt. For some reason I thought he was a local artist. In the mid to late seventies, Wendell Miller of Ecclesia Productions were hosting a lot of Christian concerts in the Birmingham area, both local no names and the big names. Keith was new to me. It was his first, solo Christian album entitled For Him Who Has Ears To Hear. It became one of my favorite albums and the song Because of You, a theme song for when I ran the old F.R.E.E. House.

Keith’s wife, Melody Green, was working the record table in the lobby. I came out of the bathroom before the concert and was cutting up with her. She looked at me as if I were an alien or possessed by the devil so I made a quick exit. Some people don’t know how to take this nut, so I just tip my hat, apologize, and duck out.

So the music begins. This hairy stranger mans the studio piano and I was transfixed for the entire concert. His passion, his zeal, his message riveted the audience. I can not remember such power and life pouring from one person and from each song. His performance, his dynamic way, made even the piano seem to come alive. It was funny, joyful, worship, sermons, and tears all rolled together. I half expected little cartoon characters to come dancing out of the piano. I knew that night that Keith Green would always be a favorite. I bought an LP and wore it out.

So here’s to Keith Green. Here’s to a true servant that wasn’t trying to be a part of the music industry. Keith was a guy that created wonderful music and gave it away for all who had ears to hear. Keith was more than a singer songwriter, he was a piano armed, God anointed revelator. I loved his passion and his point blank tell the truth in love way of ministry.

God, thank you for Keith.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I saw Keith in May before he was killed in July. Birmingham....
2hours of him, his piano and a passion for Jesus. No hype...No pressure, but ton's of truth.
I was asleep the morning the news came out about Keith's death. Vicki came and woke me and told me what had happened. I cried. I felt as though it was a tragedy that had no explanation.
I always found it odd that the last song on Keith's last album before he died was his version of HOLY, HOLY,HOLY. I remember thinking...boy! He's getting to sing if for real now!.
I miss Keith.
I miss Mark.
I miss Randy Matthews and Dogwood and Joel.
I miss Dreamer and the GUISE.
I miss Permenent Wave and STEPHEN.
I miss SONS AND BROTHERS and HIS BAND (same group/ name change).
I am thankful for you though, David.
I love you.
Mb

David Finlayson said...

got to sing while we are here
sing while we are still able
while we have breath
before life takes it's toll
or God tells us to go
every chance
we are together
we've got to sing
we need the fellowship
we need the practice

i love you too michael

A.J. said...

I just love reading about the early years of you guys' experiences! I know who Keith Green was, but of course he was a little before my time. I am thankful that I have a church where people are passionate about God and that it is reflected so sweetly in the music/worship. I long for the day I can be a part of it.

Love you guys,

A.J.