Wednesday, January 11, 2012

my grandmother

This is my grandmother Jennie Wait Foster Finlayson.  I found this image among old photos from Columbia.  It wasn't in very good condition so I did some minor restoration in Photo Shop this morning.

Born 3 November 1880 in Spartanburg, South Carolina.  Died 24 October 1969.  Jennie Wait Foster was born into a large family but the children were scattered when her parents James Turner and Rebecca Wofford Foster died.  She and a brother Louie Eugene Foster were raised by her relatives, Rev. Washington Lafayette Wait and Mrs. Jane Wofford Wait who also lived in Spartanburg, SC.

Jennie Wait Finlayson is the grand-niece of Dr. Benjamin Wofford who founded Wofford College.  Jennie was a 1901 graduate of Columbia College.  She married Burruss Finlayson and they started their family in Cheraw, SC.  Burruss ran a dry goods store and Jennie taught music and piano from her home.  She is buried next to Burruss at the Finlayson section of the Old Saint David Episcopal Church in Cheraw South Carolina.

I have only faint recollections of her.  I remember her gentleness and her soft sweet smile.

No comments: