Tuesday, November 30, 2010

places: nothing

I didn’t know what to expect when I got to Larkin’s place. I had no idea as to if his body been found.  I know that he had to have been missed by now.  Have the boys at the Federal Bureau been keeping an eye on his place? 


I kept a safe distance perched atop an apartment building. I used field glasses and surveyed the block for a little over an hour.  I then moved my car to a place about a block away. I broke in the back door. I was nervous.

I had to make this fast.

It was a small house, sparsely furnished.  Even if the place wasn’t being watched, it was possible that someone witnessed my entry and called the cops.

The kitchen wasn’t stocked with food.  Rod must have done a lot of eating out.  The drawers and pantry were empty.  There was chair, table, ashtray and telephone in the living room.  Nothing.

There were two bedrooms.  One was empty and the second was where Larkin had slept.  There was a bed, side table and small dresser.  I emptied the drawers and checked out every side and angle.  Nothing.

I tossed the bed and found his suitcase underneath it.  I thought I heard a car door close in the distance and so I grabbed the case and made my exit.

The suitcase felt empty.  Though I had only been in there a short time - I felt like I had been there too long.  I ran through a few back yards and got into my car.  I checked the rear-view mirror and took off.

I took the suitcase back to my place. I opened it and found an old band-aid. Nothing.

Rod had taken no chances.  He left no evidence of what he had been up to. I don’t know why I was hoping to find something.  I took a risk that didn't pay off. I’m disappointed but know that it would have bugged me if I hadn't of checked his place out before proceeding further.

Larkin had told me all that he was going to tell me.

No comments: