Saturday, November 6, 2010

places: all points bulliten

Cops...as if I needed more trouble.  Knowing that it wouldn’t take long for Burns & Francis to realize I gave them the slip. I needed to get lost and fast.

I got the cab driver to drop me off near a bus stop in a neighboring city.

“Keep the change.”

“Thanks pal.” said the cabbie. “Are you sure you want to be left off here?  I’ll take you where you want to go.”

“Thanks but no thanks.”

“Have it your way buddy.”  The cab drove off.

I waited at the bus stop just long enough for the cab to drive out of sight. I lit another one of Clayton’s Cubans and started to hoof it.

I knew it was more likely for the authorities to find me if I rode buses and cabs.  I needed to avoid the public, especially with this face.  I know I had to stick out like a sore thumb with all this dressing on me.

Seeing myself in the storefront windows, trench coat, fedora and bandages, reminded me of those invisible man movies.  Yea, I looked real conspicuous.  If the cops are looking for me, and I’m sure they are by now - it won’t take them long as long as I’m walking around looking like this.

Each step I felt as if I was walking through the town naked with a spot light on me.  I desperately needed to get out of this predicament. 

It sure would be nice if I were invisible.

I needed a car.  I’d stolen a car or two in my youth.  It could be done.  But it wouldn’t be smart with the cops already looking for me.  I had the commie money in my pocket. I had more of it back at the inn. I had a fake identity in my pocket...

Come to think of it, maybe I can become invisible.  I can use the ID’s as well as the cash.

I walked for about an hour, out from the city, away from the lights. I tried to keep an eye out for cars.  I avoided a few, but knew that it was too all easy to be caught.

I was hurting.  My hand was throbbing.  The painkiller was waning.  If I moved my fingers, I could feel a pain reach up through my forearm.  I wanted to take the pills the doc gave me, but didn’t know what they would do to me. I don’t remember half of what happened or what I was told at the hospital. I wanted the pills, but I needed to keep my head clear.  I had to deal with the pain until I get to a safe place.

While walking, I decided to take off the bandages on my head. I think the nurse got a little carried away with them in the first place.  I pulled my hat down and pulled my coat collar up.  I kept my bandaged hand in my coat pocket.  I felt vulnerable.

I headed slowly back to the inn, back to Camille.  I found another pay phone.  I called her.
It was so good hearing her over the line.  Her warm voice warmed me.

“Camille baby...”

“Johnny, Johnny is that you?” At the sound of my voice, her voice trembled.  “Johnny - where are you?”

“Listen honey, I don’t have long to talk, can’t stand out here in the open.”

“What’s wrong Johnny? Are you in trouble.”

“Yes.  I need to talk with you, but I have to find a ride first.”

“What happened to your car.  Do you need me to call Clayton?”

“No, don’t call anybody.  Just stay there.  I just wanted to call and make sure you’re okay.  Has anything happened there?”

“No. I have just stayed here like you asked.  I’m scared.  I’m scared for you.”

“Don’t be, just wait for me.  I’m okay.  I’ll be there as soon as I can.  I need to go now.”

“Okay.” I could hear the tears in her voice.

I wish all of this had not had happened to us.

“I love you Johnny.  I love you!”

I swallowed hard.  “I love you too.  Don't call anyone, just wait for me.”

No comments: