Monday, October 11, 2010

places: looking at a mystery

I headed back to town without any idea where I was going.  I had a little time to think during the drive... try to figure things out.  I had willfully chosen to keep my eyes shut. I will probably pay dearly for my self inflicted ignorance.

Whatever happens - I need to keep Camille safe. 

T H I N K ! 

Rod said he was a federal agent - yet tells me to kill people.

Why?

Was he really that far out on a limb?  That's kind of hard to believe...that he'd go deep without some kind of back up.  I don't get it.  Surely there's a G-man I could to talk to.  Then again, if I find someone, I'll probably end up in prison.  I don't know if I want to run the risk.

Is the risk better than dying?

He told me to kill Clayton.  The only guys I saw face to face around Clayton's house was Clayton, Rod and the Russian.  I'm going to have to talk someone at that place without getting myself killed.

One thing for certain, Rod's scenario was kill or be killed.  Maybe that's what he was planning on doing all along.  Maybe he was rogue, who knows.  It just doesn't figure.  I'll inch along and pray I won't have to take his advice.


Clayton.  Maybe I can get to Clayton. I could pretend that nothing happened tonight - go back to his place - make up a yarn about Rod's death.  Maybe I can bluff my way in - even if I have to shoot my way out.  I don't like the odds.  I can't make a plan without having a grasp on the big picture.  I'm flying blind right now.

If I do see Clayton, then I'm in a world of hurt if he knows that we cleaned house back on Hammitt Road.

I almost forgot.  The briefcase.
I pulled the car off the road.

I looked down the road to see if anyone was coming. 


Not a car in sight.

I left the headlights on and pulled Rod's briefcase from the floorboard in back.  I walked to the front of the car and squatted by a headlight in order to view it's contents.  I opened it.

Inside were three parcels wrapped in brown paper.  They were all the same approximate size and weight.  I opened one.

There was money.  I didn't have time to count it. It was a considerable amount. There were also legal documents - personal identification that I'll assume isn't legit.  It was everything a guy would need to infiltrate the United States.

So Clayton and his crew are supplying forged identity for illegals.  Illegals...from where?  Why?

I'd delivered a lot of these to the same houses since I started driving for Clayton.  This had to be a big operation. A lot of people coming into the country under detection.

I was kept outside because I knew nothing.  I was kept at a distance so if I was ever pulled over - I'd be ignorant to everything.

Like Pilate, I felt the need to wash my hands.

Rod said that I'd be suspect now that he was found out.  I don't know how big this ring is.  It's apparent that Rod was still working on it before calling on the cavalry.

If there is a cavalry.

I'd look at the papers closer if I lived through the night.  I knew a little but needed more answers.

Several times during the war, I was sent behind the lines to secure a prisoner. Someone who could be made to talk.

It looks like I am going to have to try my luck at it.

No comments: