Wednesday, September 29, 2010

places: with Camille

I loved Camille.  I had told her so several times.  She said she loved me too, but there was something behind her eyes that ventured me to think that it wasn't real.  I quit telling her because I didn't want to feel the doubt.  She said the words,  I don't want to second guess a good thing.

My hours were irregular, but I had plenty of time to spend with her.

Looking at myself in a cracked mirror, I was sure of what I wanted.  I wanted Camille.  I wanted a wife and kids - the lot.  Being around her made me think that that life was a possibility.  I never had a woman like that.  Never dreamed it possible that I'd be longing for a normal life.  It wasn't too long ago that I thought guys that fell hard for dames were saps.  Looking at the dusty reflection, I smiled at myself.

We walked to the park.  We held hands.  We talked.  As soon as we are away from this city, I'm going to ask her. I'm going to take her to some place where average people live and raise families.  I want to let the past fade, let the old man die.

I am a sap.

No comments: