Tuesday, September 21, 2010

places: waiting

We stepped out from the shadow of the station.  She put her hand on mine.
"Will you find a place to wait?  I need call Mr. Clayton and see if he can meet with me."
"Do you want me to come with you?"
"No. No, it would be better if I met with him first."
"Is he your rich uncle or something?
"No. I used to work for him. I once did a favor for him.  He once offered to return the favor."
I asked her if she was sure she wanted to use up her favor on me.
She kissed my cheek and looked directly into my eyes. "This is for us Johnny."
She reached into her bag and emptied her change purse into my hand, "Go get some coffee and maybe I'll be back in an hour or two with some good news.  Go ahead and get something to eat."
"I can wait for you baby."  I pointed to the joint on the corner, "I'll wait for you over there."
I waited there for three hours while the proprietor gave me plenty of hard looks. I kept thinking to myself that maybe this friend wasn't going to come through for her.  The longer I sat there, the more my mind started to weave bad scenarios.  I started to wonder if she was going to even come back at all.  No.  She's not that late, she's probably just talking old times. What KIND of old times? I sat there trying not to get too nervous, realizing at that moment that I was already feeling jealous about her.  She wasn't that late.  I just need to be a little patient and cool my heels.

About the time I got myself good and stirred up, I heard a small bell jingle.  I looked up and glad to see her walking through the doorway.  I wasn't about to tell her all the crazy ideas that had been running between my ears. 

She sat down.  "Have you eaten?"
"No sugar, just a cup of joe."
"I am sorry it took me so long Johnny, but I have some good news.  Mr. Clayton will meet with you tomorrow."
"I've got money for a hotel."
"He gave you money?"
She smiled. "He's a old friend Johnny. We're going to be okay."

No comments: