Wednesday, September 22, 2010

places: for hire


We met at his house. Camille accompanied me for the introduction, but instinctively left the room, leaving the two of us alone.  From the greeting, Mr. Clayton didn't seem to treat Camille like an old friend. He stayed behind his desk and quickly shook my hand.  He was rather stoic, down to business, and to the point. 

"Camille tells me you need a job and I have a position for you."
"I came without a resume'"
He didn't look up from his desk much.  He spent most of his time fingering an unlit cigar in his hand.
Clayton said, "You'll do."  He glanced up at me, "You know how to drive a car?  Make some deliveries?"
"Yeah, I can drive, but I don't have a car."
"I've got a car, you just go where I tell you to go - do what I tell you to do."
"Okay, but these deliveries, do these deliveries involve anything illegal?"
He paused a bit to light his cigar, slow draw and exhale the smoke slowly.
"You want the job?"
"Okay."
He reached into his desk drawer and placed some keys on his desktop.
He then reached into his side drawer and pulled out a .38
I hesitated on picking up the keys and the piece.
"Pick them up if you want the job.  Leave them and go if you don't."
"I want a job, but why the gun?"
"Look, all you have to do is drive around and make deliveries.  You'll basically be sitting in the car the whole time.  The gun is to protect the parcels.  I'm not saying it's a safe job - but it's a job that I will pay you well for doing.  The money's good and you can quit anytime you want."

He smoked his cheroot as he rolled it in his fingers.  He stared up at me waiting for an answer.  After a few moments, I picked up the keys and the gun and put them in my pocket.
"Good"  He stood up to shake my hand. "Be here tomorrow night and be ready to go by 6:30."  He led me to the door and opened it.  "One of the keys fits your ride at the end of the driveway.  Take it with you and use it and treat it like it's yours."
"Thanks."
"Just come when I call you, never leave me waiting."
"Okay."
Clayton reached into his pocket, "Oh yeah, I'll go ahead and advance you some money."  She said you guys just got into town last night."  I took what he offered without counting. I looked over at Camille who had been sitting out in the parlor.
Clayton turned to walk back into his office, "See you tomorrow Mr. Knight - 6:30 - sharp."
Camille was quiet as we walked out the door and down the sidewalk.  I opened the car door for her.
"How did it go?", she asked.
I have a job, an advance, a car, and a .38.
She checked her lipstick in the rear-view mirror. "Well, that's a start."
I felt the weight of the gun in my coat pocket.  I was startled by her nonchalant attitude about me packing some heat.
"Who is this guy?  How do you know him?"


"It's another story."  She leaned into me as I pulled out the driveway. She whispered, "Let's go somewhere for a drink.  I haven't danced in a long time."
"Sure thing baby."

No comments: