Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cafe Ghost

I've been home-bound for the past week. I am board out of my head. I am ordered not to do anything and so I sit around doing just that. I am on my second to last pain pill and the pain isn't as bad as it was yesterday. I guess the magic of these little pills are wearing off. I took mostly Tylenol yesterday and dealt with a little discomfort. I'm okay

I've spent the last three days cleaning up old images of Gadsden and posting them to a new facebook group called Downtown Gadsden. No sooner than I launched the group did I have it's first member. I don't know how he found me that quick - but there was a citizen there in the new group. By the end of the day there were over 60 members. I had about 150 members the second day and almost 300 yesterday. It's kind of funny. I dug up more photos and have posted well over a 100 images - mostly from postcards. It's been a pleasant distraction while I'm on the mend.

The above image is one I found on-line of the White Palace Cafe downtown. I haven't posted it at the Downtown Gadsden group. I am trying to post primarily old stuff. I ran this cafe image through PhotoShop and I am right pleased with the result. I call it Cafe Ghost. One day I'll take a camera downtown and take my own photograph of the cafe and rebuild this idea so that the graphic content will all be mine. Cafe Ghost to me reflects how I feel about this town - these old buildings and their histories.

2 comments:

Bobby said...

I hope you get well soon. I looked at that building last Friday morning... It's nice and I wonder why it's not being used? I love your new group on Facebook, Gadsden is a great city.

David Finlayson said...

Glad you are enjoying it.

I heard that the old White Palace Cafe has some kind of sewage problem. It's my understanding (I may be wrong) that the Leasor wasn't going to pay for the repairs. I might be wrong - but it's a beautiful building and wish that a restaurant were there.

The last time I ate at The White Palace Cafe was in the early eighties with my friend Doug Moore. We went there for lunch only a few weeks before he left town to study at Asbury College.