Friday, April 3, 2009

after the deluge

I had surgery Tuesday morning. The surgeon prescribed a sweet narcotic for me. Say - those things are habbit forming. I've been doing okay - just can't do anything for the next few weeks. I've been at home stirring about.

Today has been a rougher day that the previous two. I don't know why that is. I feel like I should have been feeling this way right after the surgery - not today. The doctor said that I could take up to two pain pills every four hours. I've been taking only one every four hours - so as to no be completely out of it. The one tablet though - today - just doesn't seem to be cutting it. It's as if I feel the aching, the deep bruised feeling - the incision. I feel it and I don't like the way it feels. I hurt if I move a certain way. I've discovered that I don't like discomfort.

I look in my little medicine vial and see the number of pills dwindling. Do I get more if the discomfort continues? I doubt it. Maybe I can dose up with Tylenol if the Oxycod/apap runs out. Maybe today is just a bad day. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

The house is a mess. I can't do anything about it. I am going to have to play Pharoh and force Katie and Kelsey into slavery this weekend. Katie especially. The floors need vacuuming and there is so much stuff tossed about. I walk around the house with a reacher - picking up little things. I must look like an old man. I can't lift big things. The doctor warned me about hematomas. I don't want a hematoma - I don't like the sound of it. I can't do anything for two weeks. I can't lift anything for four.

The good thing about this situation is that I can take all the naps I want. I haven't been taking many - but I can if I want too. I've been watching some DVDs that Brook brought over a few days ago. Gina bought me snacks like unsalted peanuts, natural almonds, and pistachios. So while Gina works her tail off - while my little girls slave doing housework - I can sit around - or lay around - nap - watch movies - play on the computer - eat snacks. I am doing everything I can do (legally) to remain comfortably numb. Thank you little numbing pills.

My nephew West just had surgery today...his tonsils. I feel for him. He'll need to have some pain medication too...and lots of milk shakes. Poor guy.

3 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

sounds like a forced vacation

enjoy it and be thankful for such a wonderful family

florrie said...

It's WES not West!
Just wanted to get that clear.
Sorry your dealing with the pain.

Greene Street Letters said...

I didn't even know you were having surgery. David...I hope you're o.k.
It wasn't like a Bosely Hair treatment was it? I don't mean to cause you pain but my most favorite story you ever told me was what happened after your gall bladder surgery and your couldn't stand up right. When you came down and the television was on, Planet of the Apes and you discovered that you were walking like them. The visual you did as you told that story just cracked me up...
I hope every thing went well and that you have a speedy come back.
Michael b