Thursday, August 16, 2007

worship@recovery

I've been asked to lead worship for recovery on many occasions over the past year. I love leading worship, but always a challenge when for recovery groups. It's taken me a while to finally get to a place where I can go and it not seem like singing to a brick wall. Like Jericho, we do not sing to the wall, but worship our God that tears down such walls.

I now go and lead worship by worshipping...to become a model of freedom and worship...even though a gathering is looking at me as a performer or spiritual nut job. I've also feel led, for these particular non-church occasions to throw in songs that offer hope and redemption...songs that were not written as worship & praise songs. So we go into the fields singing praises to our Lord and casting seed.

I still feel awkward about their applause because I feel as if they are applauding a performance and not to the glory of God...but they do not understand the concept yet. Maybe I need to relax a little bit...just keep moving forward...next time tangible evidence...the realness of His inhabiting our praise.

I do enjoy singing to these folk. They seem to really listen to lyrics. Music is such an incredible vehicle for communicating God stuff. It's just a different experience and on the most part refreshing that these people seem to absorb the music even if they seem stand-offish. I remember times when my heart was broken, music was a balm. Lyric saturates into broken hearts. We write songs when we are feeling the brunt of life. The Blues was born of tears and loss. I think music reaches places that mere words can't. I believe we appreciate the lyrics to Amazing Grace when we are at a place when we need grace the most.

Their quietness is a little disturbing...but I can understand that. God whispered for me to pray over them before we started...for joy...for a peace amid each individuals hardships. This is something I need myself. I spoke what I felt needed and didn't know where the seed went...but I felt obedient to do so. It would be nice for them to not feel uncomfortable about being there. God bring joy to those men and women pursuing hope, those that need to know joy.

Jose' accompanied me last night's worship. I love this man dearly. I really do. There is a peace and depth to my friend and brother Jose'. I enjoyed our long conversation and lunch last Friday at The Fish Market. I enjoyed sitting next to him playing guitar last night. I look forward to next Friday night when we play at the coffee shop. It will be a different kind of gathering and I will be performing for that event. This will be an audience and not a congregation. There will be worship though, maybe not to the naked ear, but we all know that the Holy Spirit isn't tied to a pew.

2 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

I (also) enjoyed lastnight. I sometimes wonder whether I've lost touch with people. Lastnight was the first time that I had been in a room of hurting/searching people in a long time. My normal everyday life, I'm in and out of people's homes. I should stop and pay attention to them.....I'm just so eager to get my work done and move on. I should stop and look around every chance I get.

David Finlayson said...

Reminds me of the stories you and Jason used to tell me about when you used to work together...praying over the homes that you worked on.