Thursday, July 12, 2007

home work


Yesterday I stayed home and did some work around the house that needed doing. I had a leak in my bathroom shower for about two years now. I tried to fix it when the leak first started. I drove to Lowes and then to Plumber's Wholesale to get the correct part. I replaced the whole fixture and replaced the washerless faucet with the required washer. I think it ironic that washerless faucets need washers.

Anyway, after spending my hard earned money, the plumbing still leaked. About a year ago, I called a plumber to come by and fix what I couldn't fix. Glancing at the problem he said that he would need to knock a whole in the wall of our other bathroom in order to get to the plumbing in this bathroom. I told him to forget it. The bathroom in question is the only room in the house that is finished. We had just spent a couple of grand tiling, painting, and wallpapering. No chance in hell was I going to let a guy take a wreaking ball to that room. I paid the man for doing another job I needed doing and decided to co-exist with the drip drip drip each night as I tried to go to sleep.

A few weeks ago the leak got worse. It started trickling heavier and I started thinking about my water bill...even more money literally going down the drain. All that money going down the drain and I was having a harder time going to sleep at night listening to the constant splatter going on in the shower stall. I decided to make a last ditch effort to fix the problem before calling the plumber to do his terrible deed. So yesterday I drove back down to Plumber's Wholesale and the guy gave me a new kit for my washerless fixture. Guess what? It worked. I couldn't believe it. All that shower knob needed was a new washer and spring for the hot water. I held my hand under it for the longest time in disbelief. What do you know...I actually fixed something. I kept going back during the course of the day to check on it. No stream...not a drop...without having a whole in my bathroom wall. I am not much of a handy man. I tend to make things worse. It was a nice feeling of accomplishment to actually fix something. Usually I don't fix...I break more.
Gina also wanted me to shampoo the den floor yesterday. I no longer have the shampoo attachment to my Rainbow vacuum cleaner so I had to do it the old fashioned way...on my hands and knees. My mom told me a while back that warm water with some Oxy-Clean (generic works good too) can get stains out of carpets. I fixed up a bowl and scrubbed down the den and it looks pretty good. Just a helpful hint for any of you out there with a dirty carpet.

I need to go to Lowes and by some trim for my basement. Jose' came a few months ago and helped me work on the studio. It's looking pretty good but we came up short that day. I'm going to sand and stain it and have it ready to go. I also talked to my nephew who's an electrician. It shouldn't take long to get that finished too. Hopefully, I can move back into my office soon. Getting the basement has been slow because of cash flow. Everything has been going toward groceries and the clinic. It'll happen.

There's always a project. After the basement is finished, I need to buy some primer and paint and do something to the kitchen. Our kitchen is 70's looking. Harvest Gold, chipped tile floor, and old paneling. The counter-top doesn't look to good but I think I'll start with a fresh coat of paint and some new cabinet knobs. I really need to get into the swing of doing a little something each week for the house. It needs attention like all houses do.

No comments: