Thursday, June 21, 2007

week day date night

Brook just called me back and confirmed that we are going to get together tonight. Anchovy pizza and a conversation. The Mexican fish is out tonight. Dan told Brook that he's usually tired on week nights and thought maybe we could do the fish thing on a weekend instead. So anchovy pizza it is. Brook and I try to get together once a year for a dinner and a long conversation. I am looking forward to it. I've got a great brother.

Last night we didn't have the girls so Gina and I went out on a week night date. She was so tired that her eyes were bloodshot by 6:00. We took off and ate at The Fish Market. It's pretty good food but my feet are still tired from the previous weekend. You have to wait in a very long line to place your order. Gina got the coconut shrimp and I got a Greek salad. The food was good and the staff very friendly. I'll go back when my feet when my feet are up to it.

After dinner Gina and I went to see Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer. Right after I sat down in the theater seat I started feeling sleepy and had to make myself stay awake through most of it. Most of the Marvel movies I've seen as of late are not really that good. I have a movie rating, it goes something like this:

1) Worth seeing on the big screen / full ticket price.
2) Worth watching but only as a rental.
3) Worth going to watch it as a second feature along with a better movie at the drive-in.
4) Worth renting but not as a new release.
5) Not worth seeing, don't even rent it.

I think both FF movies are in my 3 category. Gina told me last night that she liked the movie because it had an upbeat ending. I am glad she enjoyed it, she needed the escape. Sometimes I take her to movies with downbeat dark endings and she goes out grumbling. I try to take her to movies that I think will meet her upbeat ending criteria but sometimes I choose wrong. I personally don't mind the darker movies. I usually go see them on my own or with Jose'.
Most action movies these days hurt my eyes. There's nothing memorable about the plot of Fantastic Four and there was plenty of cool special effects and action BUT!... A good movie to me isn't just a movie with good FX and action. The writing is so important. I happen to like how they casted FF but it was so sappy and juvenile. I wish these movies wouldn't be written for teenagers but up to adults. Just get to the place when Richard Reed is arguing with the army officer about football jocks and computer nerds. The romantic story that ran through it was juvenile as well. Stupid! I think the cast is great but the screenplay written by a former writer of Beverly Hills 90210.

I think one of the better Marvel movies as of late was HellBoy. I hear they are making a sequel. Speaking of Marvel movies...they are working on Nick Fury. It's going to be a 2008 release and promoted my favorite Sargent to a Captain. From what I've read, they're starting him out with the Howlers in WWII. They may or may not go into SHIELD. I never was a Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD reader and hope they stay in wartime Germany pulverizing Nazi's. I found this out not long after making my Nick Fury post last month.

We went home last night and I started a linen wash load but was too tired to finish it. Gina told me to go put a heating pad on my sore heal. Gina and I talked for a little bit before she retired for the evening. I dozed off on the couch and woke up around 3:00am with the TV still on.

I've got a hand full of office chores today...a light day maybe. Never know what will come up as the day proceeds.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

You have to remember that the movies are not made for "US" but for the younger more "IN" kidss.

So you went to see
THE FANTASTIC (Count with ME!)
one, two, three, FOUR!

You could probably condense the plot down to a 15 minute short. Just fill up the dead space with tons of CG F/X. You got yourself a blockbuster Movie-Mega-Hit-thingy.

mb

David Finlayson said...

That's always been the trouble with Hollywood...dumbing down entertainment for a specific young age group. A great example of doing things right is the original Warner Brothers cartoons. They made those features entertaining(and smart) for all ages.