Wednesday, June 27, 2007

out of the blue

Paul Mccartney and Ringo Starr were on Larry King last night. I never watch Larry but seeing the two remaining Beatles together caused me to put down the remote. Paul said that they (the fab four) were just four semi-talented musicians who made for an interesting chemistry when they were together.

I heard an interview with the late Warren Zevon not long ago - he said that he didn't know where his music came from. He said that he wasn't one for sitting down and coming up with songs...that lyrics would come to him. He couldn't explain it.

I know what he means. I've written a lot of music since I first picked up my guitar, but I can not point directly to the seed of the original idea. Music it seems drifts through the window of my mind and I can not take full credit. I believe that our talents, our creativity comes from God alone. We are made in his image and He is a creative being. I believe that any chemistry that we have as artists drawn together, is chemistry from God's laboratory. We are blessed with wonderful gifts but can opt to either glorify or not glorify the one who gives them to us.

4 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Hard for me to look at the picture of the Beatles. That was the fall of 1969 and early 1970 when Abbey Road came out. That was not a good time in my life. All my friends seem to know what they wanted in life and where college was taking them. Me? I was as lost as a ball in high weeds. I was the odd man out. I was clueless because I didn't really believe in myself and my abilities. I was the poster child for insecurity. So rather than attempt anything, it was safer to do nothing. I remember when Jim Bentley, Jim Morgan and all my other friends left Gadsden to go to 4 yr. college's, I felt like I had been deserted. That wasn't the truth. It was all part of change. Life changes. We want to hang onto the portions that make us feel safe and warm and we don't readily surrender them easily.


mb

David Finlayson said...

I am glad you are here. I am glad of who you are and where God has brought you. I am glad that you are my friend and my brother.

LBC said...

"I believe that any chemistry that we have as artists drawn together, is chemistry from God's laboratory."

I agree. :)

David Finlayson said...

Nice of you to drop by Laura. With such a beautiful family, I know you must be doing well.

I seem to recall a wonderful chemistry made by a band called Even So.