Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Finding Henry

Henry Wright Finlayson
b: 28 Aug 1857 Duplin Cty, NC
d: 26 Apr 1918 Brooklyn, NY
Using Ancestry and Find A Grave, I was able to find our great uncle Henry Wright Finlayson. He's dad's uncle who was the merchant who moved his dry goods business to Brooklyn and raised his family.

Murdoch Uriah and Martha Lucinda's Find A Grave didn't have Henry Wright listed among their children.  I had to go digging. I found his wife, Charity Elizabeth Proffit in Find A Grave that led to their daughter - from the daughter I was able to find Henry's grave. You can't always get to where you're going by traveling a straight line. Every now and then you have to go forward to move back, or back to move forward. Nice find.

I was able to add photos of Henry at his Find A Grave memorial and link him to his parents and his wife. It will take a little time for the birth dates updates and marital status to show at Find A Grave for both - but should soon.

Uncle Henry and Charity Finlayson are buried at Green-Wood Cemetery in Kings County, Brooklyn, NY.

There is a chance that through the Henry Wright Finlaysons, we might eventually get more information regarding Daniel and Charity Westbrook Finlayson.

My father, Henry Westbrook Finlayson was born two years after his Uncle Henry died.  Most of Burruss Finlayson's children were probably too young to remember him.  Henry Wright Finlayson had a store in Cheraw before he relocated to Brooklyn. He's not in the picture below, but his brothers Elias Vance and young Burruss Finlayson (my grandfather) are there.  Click on image to enlarge.

Henry Wright Finlayson's Store in Cheraw, SC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Henry Wright Finlayson is my husband's 3rd great grandfather. I saw you had Murdoch Uriah Finlayson's dog tags if you are able to send a picture my husband would be grateful. Thank you

Unknown said...

Please email to sydney.barrett.1988@gmail.com if you can thanks