Friday, January 2, 2015

in the navy

Tuesday

Dear Florence,

Heard from the Navy!  The package (big envelope) was addressed to Ensign Patillo Ainsworth Finlayson.  It really knocked me down.

Am to transport to Columbia for another physical exam, will be given instructions there.  Another application was enclosed, a certificate (signed by Secretary Knot from the President of the U.S.) granting me the commission as ensign, etc.  I go to Princeton Univ. Oct 5 instead of Cornell.

Am going to Columbia tomorrow or Thursday.  Must be there Friday or Saturday.  Can you?  I want to see Carolina Tennessee game while there.


Love, Ainsworth

Note: Florence was Ainsworth's older sister.
Double Click to Enlarge

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Cool!

David Finlayson said...

I still have a lot of letters that I haven't read of my uncle's wartime correspondence home. I have a box of letters, a whole lot of letters, written between 1942 and 1946. I will continue to post them from time to time.