Monday, February 17, 2014

discriminate movie goer

I used to go to the movies all the time.  Going to the picture show has become so expensive these days that I just don't go to ANY new release.  I do a little online research to see if the movie of interest may not be worth going to see.  I end up not going more than going.

This weekend I noticed that the new RoboCop movie had just been released.  I mentioned to Gina that I had been wanting to see it, but wanted to see some reviews first.  She later asked me if we were going and I told her that we can wait until it's on Red Box or Netflix.

I'm tired of paying premium price for mediocrity.  Even though I try to check out movies before going I still get burned every now and then.  The last recent burn was The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.  It received great reviews and a movie that I had been looking forward to seeing.

I also abstain from movies with a left wing political agenda.  I like Russell Crowe, but will skip seeing him play Noah.  Early script reveals  God punishing man with a flood because of their lack of respect for the environment.  Hollywood's Noah might be politically correct, but not Biblically correct.  I'll pass watching this one from Redbox or Netflix.
“It’s about environmental apocalypse which is the biggest theme, for me, right now for what’s going on on this planet. So I think it’s got these big, big themes that connect with us. Noah was the first environmentalist.” 
–Darren Aronofsky (Director)

To be frank, I am tired of Hollywood.  The sad thing is, I really enjoy film. I was once an avid movie goer.  I find watching old classics more entertaining than paying to see newly released super-hyped schlock.



No comments: