Wednesday, January 1, 2014

no resolutions for that year and this


2013 left quietly.  I never had much interest in seeing the ball drop, or seldom do I watch for the fireworks to light up the sky when the clock strikes midnight.  A year is suddenly in the rearview mirror and I didn't have any special reason to ponder it. The day passed like any other day ~ spending it quietly with my family. The past is behind us and I don't mind footing the pedal and put the car on cruise into '14.

The holidays came and went like a burning fuse.  It wasn't a sad holiday as I might have thought.  Sure there were tears, but I enjoyed the comfort and closeness of family. We suffered two deaths in the family this year,Gina's father and mother, her father at the first of the year and her mother at the tail end of it. God has kept us close - he is The Comforter.

I spent a good bit of time care-giving Mrs. Betty Hale from October to December.  By the time she left us, Christmas was a week away and I had gotten sick and laid low until Christmas day.  The better part the holidays were a haze.  The entire year was a haze for that matter.  It's time for the survivors of '13 get busy living in '14.

For some reason I look at the oncoming year, not just as a new year, but a new season for our family.  I don't know why, but I feel it in my bones and in my spirit.  I feel as if God's got this family on new course.  I sense that life will be different from here on out.  I don't know if the road will be hard or easy - probably a good share of both.  We'll find out as we travel this unknown road.

I am not down or disheartened.  I feel a little more melancholy than hopeful at this moment.  No matter what is to come, I am grateful for my family.  I am grateful for the the love we all have and share together ~ Gina, Katie, Kelsey and myself.  I find peace in this bond - counting God's blessing in each one of these lovely souls under this roof.

I don't have any resolutions for my new year.  I do pray that I become a better son to my Father, a better husband for my wife, and a better father to my children.  No matter what comes in 2014 - I am a blessed man.

No comments: