Monday, January 6, 2014

beautiful soup


Gina asked me for homemade potato soup the other day.  She'll be home from work in a little while and she's going to get her homemade potato soup.  I've never made potato soup because I am not big on potatoes.  To make soup, one must be bold and adventurous so I am bold and adventerous in the kitchen.  I take un-calculated culinary chances.

The batch in my pot is light and creamy, a perfect consistency, with a wonderful flavor.  I didn't know where I was going with it but it worked.  I think I'm becoming a potato person.  I'm calling this experimental concoction a Stuffed Potato Soup because it tastes very much like a stuffed potato. 

In the big pot are chopped small red potatoes boiled (with skins), chopped onions, butter, heavy whipping cream, bacon droppings, sour cream, parmesan cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, white salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic, seasoned salt, bay leaves, paprika and something else and something more to taste.  Like I said ~ bold and adventurous!

Katie made a fast run to the store to pick up a french loaf to be broken, buttered and consumed with the soup.   Gina will ask for the recipe but I don't do recipes.  I didn't measure anything.  I rarely-rarely do.   I don't really care to cook with books because cookbooks take all the fun out adventure.  If she wants the soup again, I'll make a batch that will taste a little different. 

If it weren't for my dear old pal and past neighbor Donnie Obermiller I wouldn't be making beautiful soups today.  I thought soup was just fine out of the can until he and Cheri started inviting Gina and me over to their house for eats.  Donnie can make soup like no one I know.  He knew how to get the most out of leftovers - ham bones - meat juices or what-have-you.  If he served a meat one night, he'd feed his growing family a delicious soup made from the broth from the previous night's meat.  I learned to love soup when I was the Obermiller's neighbor.

Eating Donnie's good soups made me want to make a good soups.  It took me a long time to get the hang of it and I finally did after a couple of years of boldly trying and failing in the kitchen.  I'm proud to say I don't fail at soup anymore.  I have quite the big head about my soups these days.  Tonight I have a big potato head about my Stuff Potato Soup!

Gina just got home.  The air is filled with the aroma of beautiful soup for a cold Winter's night.  Soup is on!




No comments: