Saturday, March 30, 2013

bedtime for bonzo


I don't have to put Katie to bed anymore.  I do Kelsey.  She's 10 years old and loves for her dad to tuck her in.  We always pray.  I'll pray and then she'll pray.  She always has simple and sweet little prayers.  She has an innocent and sweet little voice.  She's a good soul.

Katie will often join us.  She'll stop what she's doing and come into Kelsey's dark room and pray with us.  Tonight we thanked God for loving us so much that he sent his son Jesus. We gave thanks to God for our family, each other.  We are very blessed to have each other.  We prayed for Mary who lost her husband (Gina's dad) a few months ago.  We also prayed for our pastor Jim Bentley who just lost his dad a few days ago.  The girls both prayed for the healing of my diabetes and my hurt toe.  These prayers are important to me.  They are simple prayers, but powerful, prayed by little ones with a big faith.

I still get nightly hugs from Katie, our 16 year old.  She's always had a need for hugs and "I love you"s.  I hope she never changes.  Kelsey seems to always want a little tickling before she goes to sleep.  Not too much, but just enough.  She giggles and laughs a little and then says "That's enough" I oblige and give her a hug too.  She hugs and always hugs making me think she doesn't want to let go.

Kelsey goes to bed easily.  Sometimes she wants a story.  I only tell her stories if she's in bed early enough.  Stories can and have included, the Hulk, Puff the Magic Dragon, Iron Man, Superman  Ned the Squirrel and Mario.  She loves those stories and I love it when she gets so rapt into the telling that she chuckles with glee during the telling.

After the stories are told the prayers are said, tickles and hugs administered, we say goodnight in the dark.  This is what goes on most nights.  Good moments.  They'll grow up and these moments will be no more~only memories of them.  I treasure these days, I treasure my children.


"Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward."
-Psalm 127:3

No comments: