Wednesday, February 20, 2013

painting, philosphy and God


I have a friend who is a painter.  He is knowledgeable about skill ~ among countless other things.  I've spent countless hours with Jason in bottomless conversations as he painted my basement walls, my studio wall, and my kitchen cabinets.  Usually we talk about God, not theology, but God  ~ being and becoming better followers.  Jason is probably the wisest fellow I've ever known. He's so knowledgeable because he's so diligent in his pursuit of The Kingdom.

I thought of Paul today as we talked.  There I was sitting next to Paul the Apostle and tentmaker.  Don't you know Paul was a fellow that kept sharing his discoveries to a friend or a client as he mended or made their tents.  His mind wasn't taken off the quality of his work.  He's skillfully apply his trade as his voice eagerly explained the profound meaning behind God's great grace - the incredible gift God gave to man.

With Jason, his craft is second nature.  Jason's speaks in a steady stream, thoughts that flow so freely and clearly defined - as if rehearsed a hundred times before our meetings.  He's a prophet with a paint brush.  He doesn't need a pulpit.  He doesn't need notes.  The Word of God is imprinted on his heart, and it flows freely.  Jason's far from boring, never repetitive.  He's a mighty revelator.  
The conversations are always intense and immensely enjoyable, skipping from topic to topic, never skimming a surface, always going deep and deeper. No matter what subject we happen upon, all subjects, all paths always lead to our Creator.  

He stirs the paint as he stirs my mind.  He rolls out an even coat as he unfurls thought and revelation at the same time.  To be around this fellow is to not only be encouraged in my walk, but to be challenged as well.


Hours can pass like minutes when I'm with my friend.  The conversation never draws to an end.  We talk until we have to stop.  We part and anticipate when we can meet again.  We'll resume our conversation someday ~ hopefully soon.

No comments: