Tuesday, January 15, 2013

trip to Rome


Doug and I met in 1977 on the campus of Gadsden State Junior College.  He stopped me heading out of the arts building after my speech class.  He noticed that I was carrying two guitar cases.  I had just finished giving a comparison speech and used my Yamaha and my brother's Martin guitar.  Doug introduced himself and said that he played guitar and asked if he could see the Martin.  I opened up the case on the grass and let him pick at it.  We didn't have a long conversation, but Doug said he'd like to hook up and play sometime.  I said "sure" and we swapped telephone numbers.  I didn't think anything was going to come of it.

Doug called me up one night and we talked a while on the phone.  I can't explain it, but we just hit it off from the start.  He asked me if I played anywhere and I told him that I hung out at Christian Brothers/FREE House.  I asked him if he wanted to meet me there.  He did.

Not long afterward, we were playing together.  I was really rough on stage back then.  Doug was a natural.  I felt like I drug him down, he was a better musician and singer than I was.  He was also a good songwriter.  His songs and singing style were very unique.  No matter what we sounded like as a duo, we had a great time together.  It was the beginning of a very beautiful friendship.

Many years have passed and we have seen so little of each other.  I guess I could count on one hand the times we've actually had a face to face talk.  Doug had called me last week to say hi and find out what was going on in my life.  As always he said, "We should get together".   For the first time in a very long time I was able to say yes.

Rome, GA was close to midway for each of us.  It was a wet day to be on the road as I made my way up 411.  We met at Outback Steakhouse and talked for hours.  I see little change.  He's still Doug, still my very dear friend.  I think it's been over 15 years since we had last met.  The friendship never faded, he's still my brother.  We always just pick up where we left off.

It's great to have such a friend.  No matter where life has taken us, we understand one another, still familiar with each others souls.  We're going to do this more often.



No comments: