Saturday, November 10, 2012

an unexpected reading


My daughter has been asking me to read J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' during the holiday season this year.  We were going to do it last year, but we didn't get around to it.  About three years ago, by a Winter's fire I read four of the Narnian Chronicles to Katie.  We ate muffins and drank hot chocolate and hot teas as I read on and on.  I read for hours on end.  Katie remembers that time fondly and has since been wanting to repeat the experience.

When Gina and I were first married with little money in our pockets to go out do things. We found ourselves looking for books to check out at the Bowling Green Public Library.  That's when  I came across a copy of The Hobbit and asked Gina if she'd ever read it.  She said she hadn't, and I insisted that she should.  So after dinner every night we sat in our little apartment and I would read to her.  It's a good memory.

So tonight I went to the bookshelf and pulled down my copy of The Hobbit and began to read.  Katie beamed like a flashlight.  Not long afterward Gina came home and prepared banana sandwiches and milk and brought the food downstairs.  She scolded me for starting without her.  I took the time to catch her up and then off we went.   Tonight we read The Unexpected Party and onto Roast Mutton.  We are going to read on as the weeks go by, finding time whenever we can to enjoy this wonderful Middle Earth adventure together.

Hopefully we'll finish it before the movie is released next month.

No comments: