Friday, May 18, 2012

a time to sing

I look forward to Finlayson family gatherings.  It's amazing how little I see of my siblings and their spouses even though they live in the very same town that I do.  Even though many of us go to the same church, it's still a hello - how are you - and see you soon - kind of thing.  Our ships are sailing through the week, we wave at one another as we pass each other along the way.

Seeing Don and Jennie Rakestraw (my brother in-law and sister) is a rare treat - a couple of times a year.  They live a good distance and it's always good to see them.  I have heard that they will be at the family gathering too.  There's no holiday or reason other than mother wanted her children and children's children to come.  She asked everyone to bring their guitars.  So let there be music.

Almost everyone of us plays something.  If they don't play, they sing.  If they don't sing, they love music.  It's all good.

It's always a disappointment when we don't get to play together.  I don't know why that is.  I can tell you why I miss it when we don't.  I love being with my brother and sisters.  I also love hearing their voices.  There are many styles, tastes and influences in their songs.  I like hearing them all come together.  It's all one voice when we do.


We come from music.  My dad loved to sing.  He led his swing band in his youth.  He loved the camp meeting songs and the traditional church hymns.  He also liked Willie Nelson.   It doesn't take much for me to hear his voice echo in my memories.  His brothers and sisters loved to sing too.   His mom was a voice and piano teacher in their small hometown of Cheraw, SC.  I wonder how far back the music goes in our family?

As time passed, families have married in to families and they are all are drawn to lyric and rhythm.  There's more and more as we sing along.

I've been looking forward to seeing you all.  I look forward to catching up.  And of course I look forward to the music.

No comments: